1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Machinist vocational schools? Underpriveleged?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Foamy, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    My dad passed away a week last Friday. He was a machinist for decades and has a lot of machinist's tools. As a woodworker, I can use just a few, and I cherish them. But there are a lot of tools that I don't know how I would ever use them.
    Among these tools are some very nice chucks, cutting head holders (not sure what they are really called), and a lot of "weird" measurement tools, a lot of packs of carbide cutters, set-up blocks, etc... Some Starrett, some Mitutoyo, and some German chucks.
    Although these tools are nice and I am sure have some value, I am certain my dad would want them to be put to use.
    I want to give them to a place that would not otherwise be able to afford them. I am just not sure where to start looking for such a place.
    Are there any machinists out there who may know of maybe an underpriveledged vocational training location? Or any other ideas? I could sell them on eBay and donate the money, but I think dad would want them to help others.
    I appreciate any helpful suggestions.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'd start with you local machnist union hall/lodge. Here are a few that may be near you: California Lodge Information.

Good for you to think of others ahead of yourself. Many people would see a wad of cash in those tools and go about selling them for profit.

-Mike

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    You could dontate them to any tech school that has a machine shop program,and probably get a tax writeoff. I went through machinist school almost 25 years ago,and we periodically got donations of precision measuring tools,some cutting tools,and such. Something to look into.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Speaking as a machinist, you would be better off selling the really nice stuff (read: Mitutoyo, etc) and donating the money to the vocational/machinist school, as generally the money would be better spent buying less expensive equipment because they'll cycle through it faster. This mainly applies to the measurement equipment. As important as it is, there is no sense in them getting a $400 bore guage only to have a student trash it accidently when they could get 4x $100 ones.

Talk to them and see how they would recommend you go about it. The ones I know would take the nice stuff and sell it anyway, so it may be the way that makes the most sense.

The setup/jigging equipment, cutters and cutting heads, mandrels, etc, are all good to donate without selling, though, unless it's a super expensive piece that makes more sense to be used in more experienced hands. You might even talk to local machine shops about that sort of equipment and again donate the money rather than the equipment.

Regardless, very noble thing to do. As MJ said, most people would sell the whole lot off on ebay and buy themselves something unnecessary.

5. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    You might want to find a local school with a good machinist program (Delta JC in Stockton has one) and donate some of the more standard tools to some graduating students.

When I started in sheet metal, the worst thing was getting my 1st job and having to go spend a good chunk of cash on tools (calipers, decent snips, mallets etc) to perform my new job correctly (and then be broke as hell for 2-4 weeks til my 1st check)

6. Very cool!! I've been a machinist all my life and still have tools that I obtained in the very same way years ago. Someone will put them to good use!! If you need help identifying what you have, feel free to shoot me pics, I can tell you what they are.

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Thanks! All great suggestions, and I am thinking that I'll do a bit of everything once I get everything sorted.
    Knife, I'll definitely send you some photos, probably around Christmas when I go back down and finish off the sorting. I can't figure out some of the stuff.
    Thanks again, all!!!
    :)

8. I got a job off the street at a factory that makes precision aerospace parts using lathes, mills, CNC machines, gundrills, etc.

I started working there less than two months ago, with absolutely no training or knowledge of what those things were or did, or how to use any of the tools.

The reason for my post is to say, hey maybe you could get some use out of these tools, maybe a new career choice/job?

9. Glider

Glider

Sep 13, 2006
    I cant help you much from Washington state but my hats off to you for wanting to help someone.

I agree that finding a trade institution would be the way to go because not knowing what you have tool wise you really wouldn't know what value to sell them at even if you donated the money.

I am a journymam machinist since 98, where I work ( i'm milling right now) the company supplys the tools we use, it used to be they didn't and we hated taking our tools home cause we spent all that money on them, now we hate the idea that if something got broken it may have been our personal tools :D

Also, watch out for people trying to scam the tools from you too! :)

10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I must've missed the post. Sorry about your Dad dude.

11. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Thanks, buzz. :)