Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Macintosh Recording Software ?'s

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by fender58, May 9, 2003.

1. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I have a program I got for free called "Audacity" for my IMac G3 running system 9.2. Does anybody know of another that will work for a Mac? I am new to this computer recording and would like to try whatever is available, hopefully shareware or freeware. BTW the Audacity seems good if not a bit unstable, at least with my IMac. I do have 160 megs of RAM which I would think would be plenty? Anybody else using Audacity?

Thanks, Danny

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    www.versiontracker.com
    gobs of downloadable software, catogorized, with search engine.

I use Sound studio, for basic audio recording on my iMac running OS X.2

3. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I believe there is a trial version of pro tools. Its only missing a few features. When your ready to spend the money look into Digital preformer or logic.

4. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I found the ProTools free version which is very nice. I also tried one that was recomended called Audacity. Audacity I found very easy to figure out and fine for learning. The ProTools has a lot going on and I am guessing the "real" version has more to offer. How much is ProTools, as in $'s?. The free version only allows importing of .AIFF files as far as I have learned.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Okay, this is literally my FIRST venture into the Recording forum - but I came here to check out opinions on Pro Tool's MBox, which comes with the MBox I/O hardware and Pro Tools LE for $495. At first newbie glance, this looks like the 'entry level' Pro Tools option...

6. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    From one Newbie to the other Newbie I would say the M Box would be great. What kind of computer will you use it on? One with lots of RAM and HD. I am using ProTools Free and loving it. For what I do now it's plenty!! I even got it to run on a Mac 7300 with 240 MB of ram. It's a 603e; I thought I would need a G3, which would have been $160 for the upgrade. I havn't pushed it yet so we'll see today perhaps?

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

This perfectly illustrates how you don't NEED a million gigahertz and a whosawhatzit processor. you just need RAM and HD, of course you need a semi capable processor, but raw CPU power isn't going to affect your performance that much(in recording)

8. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Well the PowerMac 7300/180 with the non G3 603e processer does run ProToolsFree but it gets boged down fairly fast with too many plug ins. A fellow Mark at Pro Sound Reveiw <http://www.prosoundreview.com/forum/index.php>
    was asking about latency issues with ProTools Free and I havn't heard any or my ear is not the tuned perhaps. Has anybody had any problems with it?

, Danny

BTW the web site mention above is a good place for recording info and it is formated like our beloved Talkbass.com