Macintosh Recording Software ?'s

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by fender58, May 9, 2003.

1. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I have a program I got for free called "Audacity" for my IMac G3 running system 9.2. Does anybody know of another that will work for a Mac? I am new to this computer recording and would like to try whatever is available, hopefully shareware or freeware. BTW the Audacity seems good if not a bit unstable, at least with my IMac. I do have 160 megs of RAM which I would think would be plenty? Anybody else using Audacity?

Thanks, Danny

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    www.versiontracker.com
    gobs of downloadable software, catogorized, with search engine.

I use Sound studio, for basic audio recording on my iMac running OS X.2

3. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I believe there is a trial version of pro tools. Its only missing a few features. When your ready to spend the money look into Digital preformer or logic.

4. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I found the ProTools free version which is very nice. I also tried one that was recomended called Audacity. Audacity I found very easy to figure out and fine for learning. The ProTools has a lot going on and I am guessing the "real" version has more to offer. How much is ProTools, as in $'s?. The free version only allows importing of .AIFF files as far as I have learned.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Okay, this is literally my FIRST venture into the Recording forum - but I came here to check out opinions on Pro Tool's MBox, which comes with the MBox I/O hardware and Pro Tools LE for $495. At first newbie glance, this looks like the 'entry level' Pro Tools option...

6. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    From one Newbie to the other Newbie I would say the M Box would be great. What kind of computer will you use it on? One with lots of RAM and HD. I am using ProTools Free and loving it. For what I do now it's plenty!! I even got it to run on a Mac 7300 with 240 MB of ram. It's a 603e; I thought I would need a G3, which would have been $160 for the upgrade. I havn't pushed it yet so we'll see today perhaps?

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

This perfectly illustrates how you don't NEED a million gigahertz and a whosawhatzit processor. you just need RAM and HD, of course you need a semi capable processor, but raw CPU power isn't going to affect your performance that much(in recording)

8. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Well the PowerMac 7300/180 with the non G3 603e processer does run ProToolsFree but it gets boged down fairly fast with too many plug ins. A fellow Mark at Pro Sound Reveiw <http://www.prosoundreview.com/forum/index.php>
    was asking about latency issues with ProTools Free and I havn't heard any or my ear is not the tuned perhaps. Has anybody had any problems with it?

, Danny

BTW the web site mention above is a good place for recording info and it is formated like our beloved Talkbass.com