Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mackie 1400 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gunkle, Apr 25, 2002.

1. gunkle

gunkle Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2002
    My current rig is:
    Ampeg SVP-BSP
    Mackie 1400
    Aguilar 212(8 ohms)

Here's my question. I read in the Mackie manual that the OL leds going off is a "bad thing". So I try not to have that happen. But sometimes I am looking for a little more juice and turn up the Ampeg or the Mackie. Everything still sounds fine, but the damn OL leds start blinking. I'm not hearing anything bad, but it makes me nervous. I don't want to hurt my speakers or my amp. Should I be concerned?
    thanks,
    g

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    at 8 ohms that thing is putting out 1000 watts if its bridged. I cannot imagine your 2 12 inch speakers being able to handle that much power.... definately not much more. If you want more volume, i think another speaker cabinet is in order. Increasing your amp output won't help much, IMO.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    The problem I believe is from your input signal being too hot. The OL light does not figure into the output to the speaker. Call it a clip light if you will. That amp is more than enough for 2x12. I rune mine dimed, my post gain on the preamp dimed and adjust my volume with my pre gain.

But thats my opinion.

Mike

4. gunkle

gunkle Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2002
    I'm not sure I know what you mean by "dimed". All the way up?
    thanks,
    g-

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Yup full tilt boogie.

Mike

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Mike, I own this particular amp, and the OL leds, only go on when i turn up the volume on the poweramp. It is possible that they also go on when the input signal is too hot, but they definately go on when the output is too loud, and the've never had them go on for myself in any other cirsumstance.

and in NO WAY am i telling you what to do, but Bob Lee (QSC) has said, and i've experienced, that if you max the volume on your preamp, and control your level with your poweramp, you reduce overall noise, because maxing out your poweramp also amplifies any noise picked up en route, but maxing the preamp will increase your signal/noise ratio, and therefore reduce noise coming from your rig.
    Just my experience. If it works for you, that's cool too.

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thats true I guess if you run both pre-amp and power maxed. But I think its two ways to get the same result. I have not found in my case an increase in noise, but just for the heck of it, I will try it Bobs way and see if there is a significant difference.

Mike