Mackie 1400w power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spike, Mar 20, 2001.

1. I have been offered these items for a very low total cost of £825, and it is an all or nothing deal.

Trace Elliott GP12 valve blend pre-amp, Mackie 1400W power-amp, full flightcase, Mesa Boogie 2x15 shockmount, & Trace 4x10.

Familiar with all the items except the Mackie 1400w power amp.
    Can anyone advise on the quality of these Mackie amps and how they compare with say, Ashdown, Ampeg or Mesa for sound?

Almost seems to good to be true, but the guy wants a very quick sale.

2. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I am not familiar with all that stuff, but i do know that Mackie make a very good power amp, and the Trace 410 is a quality cabinet. sounds like a great rig. As for the money aspect I am not sure what the conversion rate to Americal dollars is but based on a 2 to 1 exchange, i say go for it but only after you put it through the paces and it has the sound your after.

3. I use a Mackie 1400 to drive our PA. It has so far been a great amp, it has lots of hours on it, and has never given me a moment's trouble. If it is claen and not beat up, it should do you well.
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I currently use a Mackie 1400 with my Alembic F1X, and it pretty much smoked the SVT II all tube head and the SVT III hybrid that I owned before. I also run a couple of Mackies in our PA, and they've all worked flawlessly. Lots of great features, too. I don't know of another amp that gives you the bang-for-the-buck that the Mackies give. I'd prefer to have an all Crown setup, but I can buy 2.5 Mackies for the price of a similarly sized Crown.
  5. I also run a Mackie 1400 in my rack. I use it to power my Ampeg 8x10 and sometimes run it parallel mono to run two cabs. I don't have any gripes about it. It sounds great to my ears and has never given me a problem. I've owned it for about one year. I also know from experience that it will do fine in low voltage situations.

I'm sure there are nicer power amps you can buy, but there's nothing wrong with the Mackies.
  6. Thanks all for your help.

Sounds like it could be a good stand by Amp for Bass or PA. The main appeal for me was it being able to handle a 2 ohms load. Not sure that I would want it to replace my Ashdown.