Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mackie active speaker ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by C.Veltman, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Hi :)

Have you tryed the Mackie active speaker with an upright or toy ?

http://www.mackie.com/Products/Active/SRM450/SRM450pix/SRM450.jpg

It´s easy to handle and seems rather practical as you only would need a small
    preamp such as Fishman.

In general I am very fond of PA speakers as they have a broader range
    and let me decide the sound much more than an "conventional" bass speaker.
    But that´s maybe an other discussion...

My wonderings are about the Mackie active speaker with upright bass or toy .

Kind regards,
    CV

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    You are right. I went and tried the Mackie 450 powered speaker while testing some mics out with my bass at Guitar Center and just loved it. If I didn't already have the Contra, I would sure look at getting one. I also tried it with my Schertler Dyn-B, and even the salesman had to say that it was the equal of those mics with the exception of the EV re20, and even that was close.

Anyway, loads of clean full-range power. I give it a thumbs up.

Monte

3. shinebass

shinebass

Dec 19, 2001
    Ptuj, Slovenia
    hello,
    I haven't tried the Mackie, but i tried the similar FBT MaxX4a, that is basicaly same as the Mackie, but also features a preamp section with treble-middle-bass knobs. Playing my plywood double-bass through that I only had to cu the mids by 1/4th and the sound was there! Well, at least in the shop.
    By the way: FBT is an Italian maker of speakers, PA systems, and lighting gear with a long tradition in the business. I hear they ar in some sort of connection with the American Renkus-Heinz since not long ago.

4. i read a reply in a different post about feedback problems when using speakers like these. any way around this? I've been thinking about getting one of these. What do you guys think about the idea? would it be able to cut through a mdium size combo, or a big band?

5. Hi all :)

Just bought two Mackie SRM 450 active speakers.
    Two so I am able to use it as a PA when needed
    although one would be more than enough for DB.

Rimas, feedback ?
    I do not believe the 450 are giving any more feedback than other speakers. Likely the problem
    would be the DB as some instrument feedback
    much more.

Yes they will cut thrue a big band. Don´t forget
    they are loud at 300+100 RMS !
    Remember they are only a part of the soundchain
    and the pre-amp/mixer is equally important.
    Have not decided wich one to get but am testing
    a Mackie and a Sonic.

best
    CV

6. Aright, good luck with those, lemme know on the pre-amp you decide, and also, what pickup are you running right now? I think I'm gonna get one of the 450's when I get the money, where and how much did you pick em up for? thanks

7. Boppingtheory

Boppingtheory

Aug 27, 2001
    Italy
    Recently I saw Mark Johnson playing during his tour in Italy with the John Abercrombie quartet. His amazing sound was built up on an Eminence upright bass equipped with The Realist pickup + Avalon preamp + a 15" Mackie active speaker.

8. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I tried the SRM450 on my German carved bass with AMT mic and I didn't like it at all. I also tried it with a friend's Chinese carved bass with the Realist and didn't like that either. I tested it in the same room with a bunch of other speakers and was quite disappointed with it.

9. I've never used the Mackie, but I was at a friend's house and tried my double-bass through their JBL EON15 G2, and it sounded pretty good. I ended up getting a pair of JBLs in a sale (plus the carrying bags) - I bought them for use as part of a PA system, but it's nice to know that in an emergency I can use one with my DB.

- Wil

10. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    I use a Mackie srm 450 with a fishman blender (bypassing the preamp) and a tube preamp. I run a mic and a realist into it. I play jazz gigs often in loud jazz club/ restaurants and it sounds better than anything I've tried thus far. I have the mic pre and blender on a little stand and the mackie on its side (as a monitor) 5-7 feet away and I feel as though I can hear myself and also hear the quality of the bass. One of my biggest complaints with bass amps is that they are usually to close and aimed in the wrong direction and most importantly the bi amped Mackie can give you a very true sound very flat full spectrum.
    It is built like a brick too...although that can be a drag at schlep time.
    The pub 280 is real nice too, just tried one and although I really liked it it was not so much better that I'd sell the Mackie and get one.

11. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Have to completely disagree on this. The Pub is in another class. Took a friend who runs a studio up to Guitar Center where we A/B'd these two. The Mackie didn't have NEARLY the clarity on the lower end, which is not all that shocking if you check out the frequency response specs.

On the other hand, we both thought the Mackie was way better than the JBL EON.

Monte

12. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have to agree with Monte. I had the Pub and the SRM450 in the same room along with a whole bunch of other speakers and the Pub killed them all. I personally have not heard anything that has the low end clarity that the Pub has.

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui

Dang...I may have to reassess that impending iAmp purchase if I keep hearing these glowing reports on the PUB.

14. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Ok so the pub sounds better la di da...anyway I am very interested in what ever Marko is up to and I found it very interesting that he is playing an EUB. And an Avalon Pre? aren't those recording pre's? was it their direct box or their preamp? I never thought of Marko as playing a EUB but maybe the schlep across the big drink is too much anymore for that fine old bass of his.
    Hey I am very interested in trying out one of these pick up the world pick ups...is there a reason I don't hear anything about them amongst you cats?
    Just the idea of a pick up that is not a piezo or contact mic and is linear in all ranges and is made of film and has two sensors, one where the realist is positioned and one where ever it sounds good, sound intriguing. Anyone tried one of these? Anyone have one laying around?

15. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I just want to make it clear that I've never tried any of the EA stuff. However most of what I looked at was too heavy and bulky for my liking and at that time I was also hooked on this idea about an 8" speaker and when I tried the Pub, the sound was like a dream come true and it seemed to be a perfect example that an 8" speaker could do the job.

16. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Im the last guy on the planet who will bash Schertler products, due to the fact that i live 15 mn from the factory, i went there lots ot times, talked and talked, tried and tried, and the people there were always nice and supportive...i tried both the pub 2/280 and the pub 1/380 (in my case, the pub 1 didnt bringthat much difference to my sound, so i will used mainly the pub 2).... the pub 2 is really in another world comparing it with the mackie, my piano player has a mackie and i could compare both for some time, the pub is got way more clarity on the low end, the overal sound is tighter, my only complain was power....if i would have the $, i would really like to have 2 or 3 pub, that would be a great rack, even if a little to heavy to carry.... it all depends on the needs, if the pub can give you enough power for your neeeds, i think that you cant go wrong.. on the other hand right now im using a iamp 500 + a wizzy cab, and i've been really happy, the people at EA are as nice as it can be(glad that today we have the chance to deal with these great companies with top costumer support and great products). The wizzy is a 12" so, cant really A/B with the pub, but is a great cab with lots of balls and only 29 pounds... the iamp 500 is a fantastic head, with endless tone shapping possibilities and a super hi fi sound...
    I guess it really depends on your power needs, i think that nowadays , its a good time to be a bass player, we can spent hours discussing and comparing top gear like Schertler, EA, Acoustic Image, not so long ago, we were struggling to have a decent tone trough our bass amps and their wonderfully colored pre amps :)
    I guess we will never reach a consense about which is the best... because the sound in my head is not the sound in Monte's head or the sound in Adrian's head or the sound in somebody's elses head, but its wonderfull we are having finally the chance to choose between top products....
    Just my $0.02 and sorry if i went a bit out off topic

NUNO

17. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    And sorry for my english mistakes.. :D
    I didnt preview the post...and i only drunk 3 cops of coffee so far.

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Guys, thanks again for supplying your personal experiences with these boxes...it's hard to evaluate gear when you live in an isolated area. At least this allows me to make an educated guess before I order a piece of equipment.

FLATBACK...great website. Anyone interested in great photography, check out his homepage..I'm heading back over there after I'm finished here.

I was a little surprised that Marc was using an URB too; I thought he had Bob Daugherty build him a road bass a few years ago.

19. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Thanks M for the kind words, I think I am in denial about the pub 280. I suddenly keep finding myself on the Schertler page contemplating...I really like the 8" speaker...and 10 pounds less then the Mackie...if it only had a built in blender like the Unico I'd be getting up on Ebay fast.
    I probably should do a real head to head with the Mackie on a gig tho. Living rooms always sound different then the gig.
    Still interested in the pick up the world thing....

20. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    I just want to place a little plug for the FBT Powered Speakers-they are italian. I have the MaxX2a- it has a 10" and a tweeter-bi-amped, 250 Watts. 200 for lows and 50 for highs. it only weighs around 28 lbs (13kg) and it is LOUD! I never need to use it full strength. it can stand upright or tilt on its side like a floor monitor. i use it for electric bass too. It has a very linear, flat sound. it can be mounted on a pole too.