Mackie is now Loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vanselus, Sep 9, 2003.

1. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
  2. Damn damn damn. There goes a respectable company that employed hundreds of fellow americans. :(

I have nothing against other countries or the products they make. But "Loud" products will never be the same since I know that the original products were born and bred here, the company was grown here, and used to employ our labor.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, case study in a good company going down. watch and take notes, folks. :(
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Its the way all American manufacturing is going. We all talk the talk about American Quality. But then when we are at the store and a Made in China variety costs half as much... the vast majority of us decides to save the money instead.

How can American labor compete against slave labor in other countries? Simple answer, it can't.
  5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I had heard that Behringer's inexpensive mixers were really hurting Mackie. I guess it is true.

I use a Mackie 808S powered mixer and it is the best self contained PA head that I've used. Everything works as it should and it has a very low noise floor.

I'll bet the quality will go down and Mackie will soon join other formerly excellent brands like Trace Elliot and Tobias.

A friend of mine purchased a Behringer mixer and you sure get what you pay for. It was worth the bargain price but did not compare to the Mackie equivilent.

6. Were you happy with the product made in the same factory as the Behringer? Only the very first models of Mackie's power amps were made in the USA. Subsequent production of power amps and all the powered mixers were made in China. Their highly acclaimed powered speakers were made with top quality RCF drivers and pretty crappy Chinese power sections.
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Does that mean the RCF gear will be known as "Loud Industrial"?
  8. RCF was sold off separately when Mackie went on the block, same as EAW and Fussion. I'm curious as to who owns each of them now.

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    This is truely a terrible thing that is happening. I was wondering why it was taking Mackie a long time to answer a service warranty request on a power amp. Not only that, but they still have Greg Mackie's voice on the answering machine. Also, I wonder if building that digital mixer busted the bank or going public put too much pressure on the VIPs?

Thanks for the heads up on this info Vanselus. This information will make me be a little more cautious when it comes time to upgrade some gear in the future. That is, if there are any American companies producing gear in future? :mad:
  10. James G. Ellis

James G. Ellis

Jun 22, 2001

Was this true of only the mixers? When I saw your post I went and checked my 2003 made 1400i power amp and it is made in USA.
  11. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    This is not good.:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
  12. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Welcome to the realities of consumer value driven capitalism. Don't like it? Move to China and get a job in a factory.
  13. Double check your amp. All of the "i" series 1400 amps were supposedly made in China, and definitely one made in 2003 should be. It's say something like "conceived, designed, and tested in the USA" in big print with "manufauctured in China under ISO900" in small print elsewhere on the amp. Their unpowered mixers, which made the company famous were all still being made in the US; I guess that's over now.
  14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    An investment firm bought a controlling interest in Mackie some months ago, and the rampant speculation at the time was that the company's divisions would be broken off and sold piecemeal.

So they're apparently not taking that route, but this name change smacks of something an investment firm would do. Mackie? What kind of name is THAT? ;) You mean, like Bob Mackie, the designer?

Some years ago I worked for a broadcast equipment manufacturer that had been bought by an investment firm, and it was really strange to work in a place run by a chairman who had a rather limited understanding of the industry we were in. Guys like him often say that business is business, and to some extent that's true, but knowing the nuances and intangible aspects of the particular industry you're in is important, too, and either you learn it or you delegate appropriate authority to someone who has.
  15. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I wholeheartedly second this comment - so many CEO types can't let anyone else make a decision because of their ego/pride issues...

The best presidents/CEO's etc all surround themselves with people that are smarter than they are - AND THEN let them make most of the decisions.
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I wholeheatredly agree with this comment too. I'm in that situation now. But my bosses are at least smart enough to understand that this is one industry that's driven by PASSION as well as money.
  17. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    Everyone freaked out when Fender bought SWR and now they don't seem to be doing a half bad job. Just wait and see folks before panicking:)
  18. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Fender buying out SWR isn't nearly as bad as some investment firm buying out Mackie. Fender is in the music biz, so they know how things work in the music biz. The investment firm that bought Mackie is just an investment firm that only sees $$$ and probably doesn't know much about the music industry.
  19. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Gibson was in the music business, but that didn't save Tobias, unfortunately.

I wouldn't assume that just because a private equity firm bought a majority stake in Mackie that all is lost. These firms have a vested interest in seeing their portfolio investments NOT fail. Yes they seek to make a profit, but so does every other company...Fender included. Also realize that the firm is taking a pretty big risk buying a majority stake in a failing company -- The company had posted losses throughout 2002, and unfortunately this was probably one of the only means to save it. I don't see any indication that this was a hostile takeover, so Mackie most likely solicited for this investment.

I think if I owned a failing company, I would much rather have a PE firm (which, if it is reputable, should have a good track record of turning around distressed companies) than a music company acquire a majority stake. Generally these firms try to hire experts in the field of whatever they're investing in / acquiring (so if a PE firm was interested in pharmaceuticals, it may consult/hire doctors and biomedical engineers to determine if it is a sound investment). This may not always be the case, of course, as in Bob Lee's example, which would indeed be unfortunate for Mackie (i.e., the PE firm continues to mismange it's investment).

At the very least, the company will continue to function and maintain (or re-introduce) some of the products that made it famous. IMO that is better than filing Chapter 7 and closing its doors forever.

PS -- I don't work for Sun Capital Partners (or any other investment firm) if that's what you're thinking :D