Mackie M1400 pros & cons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 8_finger, Apr 29, 2004.

1. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm thinking of buying Mackie M1400 amp. I'm wondering what are the pros & cons for this amp. If you like it why do you like it and if you don't why you don't.
    I know it's heavy so don't mention that, and QSC is very unavailable in my country (not to mention expensive).
    Any info is greatly appreciated.
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have one in my garage. Several years ago, I used it quite a lot and liked it very much (we won't talk about the one thing I didn't like about it since you don't want to hear that :smug: ). I never had a reliability issue and it sounded great. The only issue was a short in the left channel input jack and that's why it's currently out of service. Never got around to having it repaired. No problem recommending this amp for a bass rig although there have been reports of thermal issues, etc. from other players. Wasn't a factor for me. Good luck.
  3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well in that case, it's loud, it's reliable, it sounds good. I replaced mine with a QSC PLX 3002 for more headroom and because of the unmentionable (mass).

4. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I like them. Be aware that older ones had problems with the ribbon cable. Make sure you're looking at a newer one, or if an older one, that it has been upgraded. You can email Mackie with the serial number to find out.

I don't remember offhand, but the the older ones either had handles on the front, or they didn't...

5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The *only* things I don't like about mine are the w****t and the size. It has been ultrareliable and has a lot of power. I will replace it someday, but only when I can afford a 1U lightweight digital poweramp.
  6. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    We use two of them (1400i) in our PA box. They are great in pairs for PA cause you can run subs without having to buy a crossover. They have been reliable and sound good. Amp in my bass rack however is a Stewart World 2.1. The main problem with he 1400 is the gravitational effect when trying to set it in motion. :meh:
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Word. The unmentionable aspect. :p
  8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    AKA inertia
  9. I have used a Mackie 1400i now for over a year in my rack behind an Ampeg SVP PRO and am overwhelmingly satisfied (except for no roadies). Did a gig a little while back where the sound system was powered by a stack of these Mackies (didn't note the number/size of the roadies). Built like a tank.
  10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I used a Mackie 1400I with an Alembic pre for a few months and it continually tripped breakers when I powered it up. I first though it was due to the wiring at the 1st place I played but when it did it several times again I realized it wasn't the house wqiring. After some research I found out the start up current was extremely high for the 1400 primarily due to their choice of transformer. I called e-mailed Mackie and their response was "verify that the circuit breaker for the circuit is at least 15amps". I finally sold the amp (yes, it was very, very, very heavy!). It did have a good sound and I never had any other problems once it powered up. I just got tired of searching for the house breakers! :(
  11. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Thank you all for replying. I can cope with the unmentionable aspect :) for a while. Mackies seem to have good reputation so I'm going to buy it, the other reason is that there aren't any reaonably priced amps in local shops :bawl: