Mackie power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassteban, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Does anyone besides Dan Glenn use Mackie power amps? Conversely, does anyone have any horror stories about the same?
  2. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    We are using two 1400i amps to power our PA. One for the mains run in stereo and one in bridge mono for the subs. Nice amps. Kind of on the heavy side though. For the PA they are nice because you can use two 1400i's and then you don't need a crossover.
  3. I really meant in a bass rig, but heavy woud make it not so good anyway.
  4. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Rozz Zamorano, amazing player and pretty well-known in the Houston area, was using a Mackie power amp the last time I saw him, about a year ago...
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    No problems here, but I seldom take it out of the house.(heavy)
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I used a 1400i in a bass rig for a while. It sounded good but was quite heavy to lug around. It later developed some sort of problem with the left channel input (shorting out) and it now resides in my garage, patiently waiting for the day (if it ever comes) when it will go to a service center or Mackie for repair.
  7. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I use a 1400 in my current problems going on 5 years. My only complaint is it's too deep for my Boogie racks...and as mentioned, very heavy.
  8. I'm just rethinking my dream rig. Can't afford to do anything about it right now, just fueling the G.A.S.
  9. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I have one for a PA runs the mains....Good amp, little light on power I feel. works well though
  10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have one and used it with a demeter pre. Sounded good only had one problem when it overheated and shut down intermittently. It was well over 100 degrees and we were playing outside. Something else to consider. I think we all mackie products (I know the mixers for sure) have to go back to the factory for repair
  11. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
  12. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I used to use a mackie 800. Crapped itself after a fall in a rack case. But I think anything would have had the same trouble if it had gone through the same... But I do think that the QSC RMX would go a little better because I am fairly certain that they aren't as deep. I never had the back of my makie secured in my rack case. Too deep.
  13. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    When I was assembling my rack rig I seriously looked at the Mackie 1400i for awhile. I started thinking about total weight and I came to the realization lighter was better. As I shopped I found I could get a Stewart 1.6 for about a hundred bucks more (on the used market) and at 16 pounds, the Stew was the choice. I think the Mackie goes around 36 pounds and when you start adding the weight of the preamp, power conditioner, rack, starts to add up.
  14. Depends on how it's treated. That's a piss-poor generalization to make there.
  15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    You're missing my point... and I was told by MULTIPLE repair shops that due to the construction, some parts are not repairable without going to the factory. In particular mixers due to the design. I'm not saying it's a bad product, but that some of their products require circuit boards, transformers etc. that are not readily available or shipped to repair shops.

Therefore it's not a piss-poor generalization just a reality. Many manufacturers do not release "proprietary" information and everything has to be sent back to the factory for repair.
  16. Well then I apologise 100 percent, as it read, to me, like all Mackie products go back to factory as in "they all break".

I read it wrong. Sorry bout that.

17. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    The mixers can get fixed at a regular shop, I had a input go out on a 1604 and the teck at the shop said he could fix it. Has not gone in to get fixed because it was a 1/4 in not a xlr.
  18. Angry Jonny

Angry Jonny

Aug 20, 2004
    I've never really used one for anything, but on the live sound boards I go to, I've seen a fair amount of complaints regarding Mackie amps thermalling out (thermal protection circuit shuts it down). Again, no personal experience here, but if there's something else comparable in the price range, I'd probably look there...I'm generally a QSC fan.
  19. Thanks again, everyone. Someday I'll have money & may have genuine need of this info...