Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mackie poweramp: what are these connectors called?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrWr0ng, Dec 15, 2002.

1. sorry for the idiotic question, but I just got this poweramp, and I'm trying to find the name of these connector type cables so I can order some.

[​IMG]

Would monster cables be worth the money in this situation? This is my setup:

Bass -> Eden WT400 -> Mackie 2600 -> 410XLT & 115 (soon to be replaced with a 15 or 18 sub)

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    banana plugs

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    According to the pdf user manual (page 40) they are called "binding posts" and are designed for bare wire.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You'd be better off with Speakons, dude. I used a WT400 as a pre into a Mackie 1400i last weekend. Very sweet with a Bergantino 210 in a small room. The Eden is history but I'm about to set up another rig this week using an Aguilar DB659 and the Mackie. I really like Mackie's power amps. Clean. Too bad they're a bit heavy, however. I also use a Mackie 808S powered mixer in my trio with JBL mains and monitors. A real workhorse.

5. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    No I'm afraid that's not true, the M1400 has different connectors.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    indeed they are binding posts...bananas have holes in them for a connector...i thought maybe they were dust covers for the sockets...i do agree that speakons are better. bare wire isn't cool...too easy to let the 'trons loose

7. so far it's turning out to be a great amp. It IS heavy, but i'm happy with it. The amount of power it can put out will give me plenty of headroom so I can finally hit the lows I want without needing a bunch of mids to cut through.

Speakons are regular 1/4" jacks out, right? Cos the 2600 doesn't have 1/4" outs, it's only got XLR outs or bananaplug outs, or those other big things that I don't know what they are.

edit: the caps on the red & black banana covers come off so i can plug a cable directly in. That's what my singer did yesterday, but he never told me the name of the cable type. The eden's also have that same type of "in"

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    What's not true? Who said anything about a 1400 anyway???

9. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I agree, the Speakons are definitely the superior connectors in this case.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No, they're not. Speakons are used for the speaker outs on your amp if you choose not to use those binding posts. Look at the pic.

11. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Funny. I didn't quote your post but before editing it said something along the lines of "you're fine with bananas dude, I used them with my 1400". But so what, as long as he gets the necessary help.

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Not. But whatever. I never said anything about a 1400.

13. speak-ons are the outs to the left/right of the binding posts?

14. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    OK. I'm not quarreling over this. :) So maybe I read it wrong.

Peace.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yessir, they are.

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    We're cool, Anders.

17. ok then, so I'll look for speak-on to 1/4 jacks then, and order one of those for now.

thanks a lot for the help, guys.

edit: zzounds doesn't carry speak-on to 1/4 jacks, should I just get the speak-on to bana plugs, or does anyone know of a store that would carry speak-on to 1/4"?

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Guitar Center. Probably numerous sources online. Try markertek.com. BTW, typically it's speakon, no hyphen. Made by Neutrik.

Another thought: if those binding post caps come off, you could use bananas with 1/4"s on the other end, like you originally planned. My 1400i has no caps on the posts so I just use bananas and run into cabs with speakons on the other end of the cable. Pretty common. Good luck.