Mackie Poweramps - lots of good features, good price, any opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by remo, Mar 2, 2005.

1. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Hi.. In my relentless quest for a poweramp for my rig I had a look at the Mackie poweramps.. they boast a very impressive feature set and a good price. Heres some cool features.

adjustable low cut filter (10Hz to 170Hz) good for chopping of the headroom sucking sub bass 30-40Hz and under..

normal speaker lead outputs on the "i" model (always handy)

HF boost @ 2kHz to 6kHz (impress the chicks with that one)

Limiter section: Complementary Positive and Negative Peak Detecting (ummmm.. groovy!)

User selectable High Frequency Overload and Latching (horn protection!)

6 meter LEDs per channelSIG (Signal Present), –20, –9, –6, –3, OL (Overload)PROTECT LEDs
    CH1 & 2SHORT LEDs,

nice to look at it and make sure you not overdoing it! also look sexy for the chicks.

Damping Factor: >350 from 0 to 400Hz (pretty good!)

Balanced or Unbalanced input with direct through to another XLR (acts like a DI out of a normal bass amp).. Its just like another DI out of your preamp (very handy for big gigs as your preamp out is most lightly already going into the poweramp)

check out this PDF.... looks great on paper!!! anyone actually used on for bass?
  2. zoran

May 10, 2002
    Mackie make fine amps, very reliable but very heavy also. They can be run on 2ohms with no problem
  3. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    just looked in the local second hand trading post... saw one for sale in the next suburb... just went and bought it!

should be a perfect match for a pair of Aguilar GS112's ??!!

both rated at 300watts
  4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I have one and use one...but recently went back to my QSC. Keep in mind that the Mackie power amps need a deep 22" rack to fit it...and it is heavy as stated. My Boogie road racks will NOT fit the Mackie..but the SKB cases will....however the SKB cases are too light for such a heavy power amp IMO. Plenty of clean power..and they sound real good. I have the 1400 with Speakon connects.

I may put it up for sale soon..
  5. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    what cabs are/were you running on the 1400?

(mine also has the speakons)...

Yeah it's not the lightest thing but the features make up for it.

I plan on making my own rack for it, I'll post some pics for a laugh.
  6. heavy? You wuss.... the heavy is all the quality we chuck into the thing. ;)
  7. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

hi remo!
    I am running Mesa/Boogie 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. The Mackie is a nice poweramp...great for the PA as well....but it's a monster to rack and haul. It's my backup amp now, but it won't fit my racks :( it'll be exchanged for a QSC PLX amp.
  8. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    AP keep me in mind if/when you decide to offload the Mackie.
  9. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

will do bro..I'll PM you in the next month or so about it before it goes on the public block.
  10. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I was just trying out my MXR M-80 Bass DI with the Mackie 1400. Is it a problem that even with the volume of the M-80 turned up full only the SIG led (and only when I hit it really hard the -20 led) on the meter lights up?

should it really be lighting up more like up to the -6 or the -3 led to really get the amp running to its full capacity?
  11. remo

Jan 15, 2005
  12. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, you need to be lighting those leds. When the clip light flashes occasionally that means you are running at full power for whatever load ou have connected.

Try using the other channel to see if that works better. Are you using the xlr out of the MXR?

I like my 1400i, it's powerful and reliable. It's also heavy and may soon get replaced w/ a Soundtech PS 1600.
  13. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    hi.. yeah I tried both the XLR and the main output.. just can't get those leds lighting up :( its weird because the MXR is a DI.. which is supposed to go straight to the mixer/amp.. do I need another gain stage after the MXR to get the level up higher? What pre are you running on your 1400i? do you get all the leds happening?
  14. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Hmm... I dunno then. My Mackie works great w/ several different preamps - Tubeworks Blue Tube, ART PhatBoy, ART Tube Channel - as well as our Roland digital mixing board and my cheapo Behringer board. You should not need another gain stage. Maybe check in the effects forum to see if the MXR is known for low output? Swap cables? Try it w/ a different DI, preamp, or mixing board to see if the problem is w/ the MXR or the amp.
  15. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I used one for a long time.
    Rock soild power amp. Built like a freakin' tank.
    Used with Bertantino 210/115, Aggie GS112 (two of them) and Eden 410XLT.
    Always showed up ready to work. Never had a single problem with them.
  16. Grazer5

Oct 24, 2004
    Winnipeg, Canada
    you will need a preamp to drive that Mackie, I'm not really familiar with the MXR DI but I would guess that it's passive which is a mic level output, not nearly enough signal to drive any poweramp on it's own.
  17. remo

Jan 15, 2005