Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mackie Powered Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JahKnow, Dec 3, 2002.

1. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

I did a search, and found these mentioned briefly, but is anyone using any form of the Mackie Powered cabs for thier main speaker and amp set up? I have been using the SM450 for small gigs and the SM1530 for larger venues w/great results. I have my pre-amp mounted on my pedalboard, and run a mic cable back to the box. Easy set up, and GREAT tone. Anyone else? Peace, Johno!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

Hey Munji, I've been eyeing the 204. Do you find it really increases the lows on the 1530?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It "fatten's 'em up" a bit. You don't want to overdo it, because it can get mushy (they ARE 15's, after all). The way I have it set up it sounded great, but I think the vocals benefit more in the high end with the aural enhancer (not to be confused with the oral enhancer). I'd say yes, the 204 makes 'em sound better in this application.

As a side note, I was playing through the 1530's at practice last night, directly through the board, and there was this disgusting scratchy noise every time I played a B or Bb. It sounded like the 15 was history. On close inspection, the speaker looked fine, so tonight I pulled off the grill to check the allen bolts that hold the speaker in the cab. Each one was loose enough to take half a turn easily. I tightened them up, then plugged my Zon into it through a U5, and ...

PERFECTAMUNDO!

Whew.

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    gotta love when it's something so simple as a loose screw :D