Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mackie Powered Speakers.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fast slapper, Jan 28, 2003.

1. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I recently tried out a 3-way powered 2x12 cab (SA1232) from Mackie. I have to say it was one of the best sounding rigs I've tried. If anybody has a chance to, try it!!!

Going straight through the mixer the sound was transparent,full,punchy, and extremely loud for it's size. Should be awesome with an actual bass preamp.

www.mackie.com/sr/

2. I think you might be looking at the future of bass amps. Full range powered enclosure with bass pre-amp.

3. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I don't know if I am reading something wrong, but isn't this called a combo...

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A combo has an integrated preamp.

GreyBeard is talking about using an outboard preamp with an active speaker system.

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    here at school we have mackie M450 powered speakers in our practice rooms. I have gone direct thrue the board into them a few times, and it sounded pretty darn good.

6. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
  7. Yes this would be a combo and an improved combo at that. These powered enclosures have built in power amps that are taylored specifically to the speakers and enclosures. Perhaps Mackie will intigrate a good preamp into one of their powered enclosures and start the next revolution in bass amps. The improved combo. or just get one of their enclosures and add a SansAmp DI.

8. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    If you're interested in those Mackie enclosures, which are really solidly built and sound great, you ought to look into them soon.

Mackie has been bought out and has fired all thier executives. My uncle, formerly their Head of Product Development, was just let go. I'm not sure if they are going to stop production of their current models and introduce a whole new line, I doubt it, but the company is in turmoil.

I don't think this will matter for this thread, but it's worth mentioning about the future of Mackie. I don't know how much more of mackie we'll see in the future.

:rolleyes: :(

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    A friend told me last year that Mackie was in big trouble........I was said no way, their market share was to big.......but I would have said the same thing about Eden last year. I guess you never know:confused:

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Mackie in Trouble????? NNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!! Didn't they buy our RCF recently? Would they have been able to do that if they were in trouble? I'm confused......

Oh and for the record, Eden's troubles have not affected stock supplies, prices or quality of their products here in Australia. Hopefully that means they can bounce back.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

My rig consists of a SanSamp BassDriver with 2x Behringer 300 W powered cabs.
    Works like a charm.

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    My band uses a powered Mackie system for our pa. It sounds good and is easy to hook up. 1 of the input jacks went bad and it took awhile to get fixed. If something goes wrong w/ a regular power amp at a show, you have options, like taking your monitor amp out of bridge mode and using 1 side for mains. If a powered cab goes you have no options.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I tried my Jazz FMT through my Avalon U5 into two Mackie SR 1530s (three-way powered speakers). Lawdy, lawdy, did it sound fine. Since then I've done several small gigs just using the U5 into the board, then to the PA's 1530s. Vewwy nice.

14. I have always thought these Mackie active subs would be one of the best ways to add lowend support for any mono bass rig. This one looks ideal; http://www.mackie.com/sr/swa1501/index.html Good to 36Hz, 88#'s, 500w's....lot's of hook up options. Sounds great! How much this stuff go for anyway?

[​IMG]

15. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    ZZounds.com has that one for $979.95. Mackie is good quality stuff, but you're going to pay that premo price for it as well. Not that that's a bad price, but then again it isn't exactly cheap either.

16. Mackie powered speakers also have an annoying tendency to overheat and cut in and out. Be sure and get one that goes at least twice as loud as you plan on playing or you'll find your bass rig turning itself off and on.

BTW, the rumors that Mackie has been bought out appear to be true.

http://www.mackiedesigns.com/news/2003/01162003_sun.html

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A venture capital firm bought up the majority of Mackie shares, which had been trading for around a dollar per.

Mackie has had a big load of debt to service in recent years after their purchases of EAW, RCF, and Fussion. They recently had a big layoff and announced they were shifting most of their production to China.

The VC firm must've seen some value in the assets of Mackie; as one friend of mine described, Mackie probably seemed "worth more than what they cost." It might be that the firm figures they can make money by selling the company's divisions off separately.

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Mad Subwoofer.....I have the 1/15 version of the Mackie subwoofer for one of my bands P.A.'s, and I tried it with my rig for grins.......most of my cabs put out more low end than the Mackie. The Mackie does really help out the P.A.'s low end though.

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oh no, please don't tell me EAW may disappear. They're concert rigs are among the best I've come across. I always thought they were an independant company who just happened to use RCF drivers - obviously not....

Man this sucks....

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I don't think EAW's going to go away. Ken Berger, the co-founder of EAW who sold the company to Mackie several years ago, was recently recruited to come back and rejuvenate the speaker firm. He sold ProSoundWeb, his post-EAW business venture, to Live Sound International magazine.

Maybe EAW will stay in the Mackie tent, maybe it'll get sold off. But either way I think that with Ken there the brand has a better outlook now than it had in the past couple years.