Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mackie / QSC Vs. SWR / Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SHIFTGREEN, Jan 30, 2003.

1. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    Is there any reason why Mackie's and Qsc's are cheaper but yet just as powerful if not more powerful than your swr's and ampeg Amps. I have an swr4004 400watt going into a goliath senior, and was told that I need more power, I noticed that I can get a mackie 1400 for like 300.00 on ebay, but yet if it were an swr..say 750x, you would never get one that cheap in excelent condition. I know a mackie is just a power amp with no effects, but is that why its so much cheaper? It seems like most people would just get a mackie or qsc, and buy a preamp or some kind of EQ, that way you can get effects or EQ and power for a cheaper price.

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    shiftgreen,

Mackies, QSCs, Crowns, etc. are cheaper because all you are getting is the power. You also would need to get a preamp to receive the input from your bass. This is where you do your tone shaping. A poweramp + preamp can still run you close to $1000 so it is not necessarily less expensive than an integrated head (SWR, Ampeg, etc).

People like to get the preamp and poweramp separate because there is more flexibility with this approach. And sometimes more power for the money.

3. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    yeah i figured that, but i could use my workingman4004 as a preamp since it has 5band EQ and aural enhancer and say a mackie 1400 for the power. Even if I get a mackie and later on buy a sansamp RBI, that would still be cheaper than a swr 750x i beleive.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, if you got the RBI as a preamp you probably would be saving some money because the RBI is the most affordable preamp I know of ($250-300).

Go ahead and get the Mackie...it sounds like a good idea. QSC makes good poweramps too.

I think you will get more power for your money buying the preamp and poweramp separate (especially if you're going used).

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The only downside is the size and weight of carting around a rack case with such a heavy power amp in. However, the extra tone and volume makes it more than worthwhile.

Alex

6. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    That is unless you get a Stewart or QSC PLX.