Macs increasingly targeted by hackers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Mar 22, 2005.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    First off, this isn't meant to be a thing of "haha! now macs are getting it to!" I just found it interesting and know that some of the mac users here might as well. I'm not anti-Mac and I'm actually very interested in possibly getting a minimac at some point.

Anyway, here's the article:

Hackers targeting Macs

I know that Macs are still far less likely to be victims of spyware and hacking but honestly I think increased occurences of this is only a natural progression with the increased popularity of Macs.

DO you think it will become much of a problem?

brad cook
  2. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I think it will, I love mac's, but my comps are more geared towards games then programing or graphics/recording. Overall they are more powerful systems and from what I have heard from a few of my *coughhackercough* freinds, they are harder to hack. They dont like to bother with them to much, but hacking is about challenge and control, so I think its only natural that they are moving onto mac's more now. A more satisfying victory you could say.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Eh, it's pretty much just FUD. Coincidence that the last time this was brought up it was also by an anti-virus software vendor? And nothing came of that either.

At the end of the day, even if a handful of hackers take interest in trying to find holes in OS X and trying to exploit it, there is no way it will ever become as riddled with crap as windows is, and the severity of such exploits will not be as great.

I'm not at all worried, and will continue to use the internet without fear.
  4. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH

Very good point.

Going onto the internet with windows is kinda like running into a quarentined town without a Haz-Mat suit.

Gotta love antivirus/popupblockers/firewalls and such. A requirement now a days.
  5. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Where was the quick edit on this one?
  6. Going into the internet without Firefox is like going into quarantined town with a state-of-the-art haz-mat suit. I <3 firefox, and I haven't had a single pop-up since.
  7. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I dont get pop ups on IE6 with SP2 - I don't know what the big deal is....
  8. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I don't get popups on IE without SP2.
    I love my Panicware.
  9. Before SP2 bad things were happening to my machine virus-wise thanks to punks on the network. They were caught though. And thrown out of the reshalls.