Macs vs. gateways

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Guss, Oct 16, 2002.

1. I just read Superduck's thread and it got me wondering, are mac's better than Gateways. We have a Gateway and it has given us alot of problems too. We've had to get the thing tooken in twice due to system failure problems, and both times they completely cleaned out our hardrive! I had hundreds of songs! So are macs better?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I have staplers that are better than Gateway.
  3. Macs are overprices piece of **** computers IMO.

Gateway however, is pretty bad..

I'd say build you own, or get a Dell. :)
  4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Anyone who tells you Macs have less problems than IBMs is just throwing you bull****.
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    You can´t compare Mac´s with Gateway. You can compare Mac´s vs. PC´s. But not Mac vs. one kind of PC.

Both platforms have their pros and cons.

I´m in the do-it-yourself department. I´ve build my own PC´s for many years now and I´ve never had any problem whatsoever.
    In my experience the Mac is a bit harder to troubleshoot. I´ve worked as a tech support for both platforms and there were times I was going absolutely insane with macs and their damn memory problems. I haven´t tried out MacOS X so I can´t comment on that one, but every MacOS up to X has had their fair share of memory problems.

Make a list of what you want your computer to do for you, then decide which one you want.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Can't say the same for ANY of my pc using friends...but in 3 years, I've only had ONE critical error with my mac.
    thats ONE compared to at least 10 a week with any given pc using friends.

this is just some of my personal experience, I'm not saying its the standard.

gateway is a waste of is compaq
    sony and dell have some good computers out there, building your own is always cost effective, but in the long run if you intend to use your computer intensivly for a long period of time, its ill-advised to build your own,unless you have experience and are buying premium choice components, but then you end up spending alot of money anyway.

Apple computers are generally overpriced....however, the iBook is a great deal, as is the eMac...the iMac and the Towers are pretty shabby however.
    but the fact that Apple is still alive in this competitive computer world, even though the g4 clock speeds are 1.25 ghz max, and ddr ram is not standard, is impressive, and a big reason for this is because of the unquestionable superiority of the g4 processor to the intel P4 and the AMD Athlon...granted, AMD has some processors on the way that are loaded, Apple also is going to be the first company to release a consumer level 64 bit multiple core processor, The transition to 64 bit processing, will theoretically boost the performance of all Apple computers to use this processor, by at least two times....coupled with the fact taht they will be 1.6-1.8 ghz, and probably Dual processors...I'd say that Apple is definatly on a turn around...but in the same vein AMD could very well best apple to the 64 bit they have been TRYING hard to release a 64 bit processor for a few years now.

furthermore, this 64 bit processor is being developed by IBM, so saying that a mac is worse than an IBM is pitifully misinformed.

there are alot of things that the Apple g4(or rather Motorola) does better than Any Pc(high end maya,lightwave graphics,protools photoshop), but there are also alot of things that high end pcs will trump Apple computers at(Adobe after effects, premiere, greater selection of games) .

The real decision should not lie in specs but rather in operating systems and software...what software you will be using, what operating system are you familiar with...what are you looking for in an operating system...etc.

so far
    neither of the two next gen OSes have impressed me much
    windows xp
    or Mac os X
    both have been(for me) a pain to use....and I could go on about the pros and cons of each, but I think everyone should make these decisions for themselves

there you have it....not too bad for a mac-user(we tend to be blindly zealous...I try to be fair)
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I've been a mac user since I first started using computers, so I'm somewhat biased. Like Wrong Robot said there are pros and cons to each OS, but personally I prefer the Mac OS.

If you've decided to go the PC route, please don't get a Gateway. Everyone I know who has (or had) a Gateway hates it. For some reason they just don't work well.
  8. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I use a Dell, and it is awesome; the only problem we've had in over a year was the fan, it was too loud. Nothing else. They are very cheap compared to other PC's. Just get one of You will save a lot of money.

And personally, I hate Macs, they're not compatible* with everything.

*On that issue, make sure you don't Windows XP!
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Or relating their own personal experience. I've used Macs for the past 13 years, and have had exactly ONE crash in all that time (death of an 8 year old hard drive). My wife's Gateway, on the other hand, crashes an average of 1-3 times a week. I won't speak for everyone else's experience, but in this house....well, you do the math.
  10. I use windows XP, and have found the operating system not to be the cause of crashes, rather the programs. Macs don't have close to the selection of available software, so their less likely to crash.
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    What hardware and software have you experienced and for how long?

Macs on average are more stable... so long as third party drivers and software are conflicting. But yes... computers are flacky, everything crashes (even BSD)

Ahhhh a breath of fresh air :) well said,
    the right tool for the right job.

LOL... when I worked for Apple in the later 90's I'd get people calling for info only to end up preaching the Apple cult to me :) I was there for some good times. Jobs had just come back into the fold, G3 chip, Wallstreet laptop, iMac release, etc

I know 2 people with Gateways... both HAD issues easily fixed by tech support, both have stable machines for the most part.

Nothing is compatible with everything.. to assume so is idiotic.... but ok, you hate Macs.

As far as XP, if you buy a current PC that is your ONLY choice and in my experience the best offering from MS. I run it every non server with 600mhz & 128mb or better I work on or with. I've yet to find a piece of hardware or software worth using that wasn't compatible.

As for Bassmans issue, if 'they had to clean out the hard drive' then something that was downloaded along with the hundreds of songs caused the problem.... not the computer.

If money isn't an issue and you're not a gamer, get a Mac (MacOS X is beautiful and powerful, usb and firewire have killed most of the hardware compatibility issues).

If you don't want to touch or configure hardware, or if you have a investments in Windows software and/or like gaming, get a Dell.

If you have a little electronic aptitude and patience to learn, Build it yourself
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Both suck. I'm upgrading to an abacus and burnt stick with a stone tablet. Anyway, if you must buy a computer (or, as I call them, infernal tools of the devil) buy it based on which OS appeals to how you work. PC and MAC can both be very stable, or very crappy. I do tech support in a office that has both. It boils down to aesthetics...and money. :rolleyes:
  13. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Can I get an amen? :D
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Since you were the one doing the quoting, you could have done the "Amen" yourself...:p

I have flip-flopped with my platforms: Started on a Mac Performa, Switched to an Acer when the Mac became outdated. Hated the Acer thanks to Windows 95 and Microsoft Works (a contradiction in terms), so I got an iMac a couple years later. Finally, I got my current job where Windows machines outnumber Macs nine to one, so I got a Dell and didn't have to buy a printer for two years.

I love Macs overall, but to me it all boiled down to cost. Nowadays you can get a smokin' machine for relatively little money if you don't mind the Bill Gates association, which is inexcapable, since Microsoft owns a cut of Apple anyway.

I'd love to learn to build PCs, I just don't have the time right now.
  15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I haven't read SuperDuck's thread (I'll do it after I post this), but here are my thoughts on Gateway (or as I call 'em, S**tway):

1) They have been known to use reconditioned parts in their brand new computers.

2) Their customer service is absolutely, positively terrible!

Very recently, a gentleman in Appleton, Wisconsin (my hometown) took his Gateway computer back to Gateway Country (the Gateway store here in Appleton), because he and his daughter were having problems with it. Apparently, this man had been 'round and 'round with Gateway support, who either didn't know how to or didn't want to fix the problem, for several months. Anyway, he took the computer into the store and asked for help. Apparently, he did not get the help he needed or wanted, because he went home, got a sledgehammer, went back to the store and proceeded to smash his Gateway in the lobby of the Gateway store! He was arrested and prosecuted for creating a public disturbance, sentenced to a fine and probation and he had to write letters of apology to some of the customers that were in the store and witnessed his outburst that day. Our District Attorney was then going to help him bring charges against Gateway, for misrepresenting their products and willfully selling defective merchandise (I think those were the charges). I just threw the article about this situation away the other day, but I may be able to find something on the 'net about it. If I do, I will post it here.

One last note: When I was getting ready to buy my first computer, my web designer told me to get a Dell. I told him that I was thinking about getting a S**tway, because they had a brick-and-mortar store right near me (Gateway Country). My web guy said, "The first time you complain to me about Gateway's poor customer service, I'm gonna say, 'That's why I told you to buy a Dell!'" My next computer may either be a Dell or a Mac (or one of those new Japanese/German dealies).

You know, as bad as I think my GW is, I think it has more to do with the operating system.
  16. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    IMHO Macs are better than pcs at a few tasks(image/video editing ect..), but they are not nearly as versitile as a pc. Now before people jump on me for this I want to say that I see this as a undeniable fact with pcs. the sheer volume on software produced for the pc vs that for the mac is a prime factor in this limitation of the mac system.

Pcs are much more usable for comsumer type uses as well as many professional fields.

I guess my point is if you are getting a computer for home or normal buisness use get a pc. If you are doing work that is grafic intensive you may want to get a mac.

If you do get a pc, DO NOT get a production line pc, with a possible exception being Dell. Almost every one I know who has gotten one of these sstems (Compaq, HP, Gateway ect..) has had numerous problems.

The best thing to do would be to build your own, but thi does take some knowledge of the hardware ect neccesary. However I do feel that the difficulty of this is greatly exaggerated by society. There really is no "wizardry" that goes into building a pc.

Check out this article for more info on building pcs.
  17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    My mom has a Gateway laptop and so far I'm very impressed with it. The ONLY issue she has had with it is recently when she did an update (caused by XP, not her computer), and her Microsoft Word stopped working properly-It would fatal error after about 15 minutes of working in MSWord. Other than that, it has performed flawlessly.

The brands I will NEVER own include any NEC products and any HP products. We had so much trouble with out first NEC computer about 5 years ago that the store gave us a brand new Sony VAIO when we returned a year old NEC to them. We have now gone through 4 HP Deskjet printers and had HORRIBLE experiences getting them fixed every time.

I haven't been overly impressed with the VAIO either, but the only problem with it was the hard drive completely crashing and a few goofy errors here and there. I bought and reinstalled a new HD and it has worked perfectly ever since.

The Gateway, however, has never even had any sort of error except for this recent glitch in MSWord.

We can't really comment on customer service because we haven't had to have any so far. We'll see in the course of getting this MSWord thing fixed.
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Burnt sticks suck. Use a charred Mastedon bone.
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Moral of the story: Better have a sense if humor if you're going to use computers.