Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mad about my new bass HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenbull, Nov 1, 2003.

1. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    I posted about help with buying a new bass. I recieved alot of good replys Thanks. Now i played and bought a MIM black fender Jazz. I love the feel and style.Here i am tonight playing and look down at the bridge....the #$@#$ Low E saddle screw and spring is missing!!!! I touched the saddle and the sucker fell out And the string slammed into the pickup. Man am i mad....the thing was a floor demo and had no wear or marks it had not been on the rack long. Do the GC pepole check these things out? Now i have to drive 45min to get it returned. Should i raise hell and is it a sign of problems.... is fender this careless? I played a cool wood grain 5 string yamaha and a shector that had EMG pickups on it. all of those basses were 30-35 dollars cheaper than the fender.The also had a used Dean bass, a razor i think for 350.00. It is one piece and a real nice piece of wood....is it a good bass it has a 30 day warrenty ...it sounds and looks great.All in all i am confused and wonder should i get another jazz in the box or buy something else . Any idea and help? thanks:confused:

2. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I dunno man. If you really like the bass you originally bought, why not just suck it up, make the 45 minute drive back to GC and ask them to put in a new saddle (set) screw and a new spring... If you emphesize the 45 min. drive, maybe they will give you a set of strings or something similar in value to make up for it. When it comes to purchasing a bass (or anything really) I really suggest spending a lot of time inspecting the bass. If you didn't realize these problem until sitting at home, chances are the saddle screw just vibrated out of there... I can't really see how this could get past you in the store, assuming you sat there and played it for a while before buying it. The same sort of thing happened to me once while buying a lower end fender bass.. I ended up returning it for in-store credit, then I drove for 4 hours and bought a 2000$ bass and drove another 4 hours home.

Anyways, like I said, if you really like the feel, tone and look of your bass, take it back and have them fix it up. Then inspect it and make sure the set screw isn't too lose in there (make sure it isnt gonna need adjusting every day.) If you aren't happy at that time, you can either ask them to replace the bridge, or find another bass.
    You definately dont want those saddles to be needing constant adjustment. They should set it up nice for you and you shouldn't need to mess with it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do and how it goes, etc.

3. Easy, just go back and demand that spring!

4. Yes indeed. Mr. Goody Good recommends tact, diplomacy and politeness in this situation.

You know, there are a lot of inconsiderate customers at GC that don't treat instruments with respect. Mr. Goody Good has seen quite a few basses that are missing knobs! Not to mention all the smudge marks!

5. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    Thanks everyone you do make me feel better.i will return there and see if the will make good and maybe see if i can get a goodie for my trouble.I am so confused though. there are alot of nice basses to choose from and i like the dean and the shector with the EMG's on it....oh the yamaha is sweet to but that jazz is cool AAAAHHHH the horrors.Do you guys think over all the MIM basses from fen are good.:bassist:

6. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    LMAO!

Yes fenbull, I think MIM basses are very decent... some more so than others ofcoarse. In a local music store, there is a $1600 MIA Jazz Deluxe, string thru bridge, active 3 band EQ, Ash body, Rosewood fingerboard, 22 frets, sounds amazing. There is also a MIM Jazz for $850 that I like just about as much... not quite, but just about... it sounds great, I think it is Alder, Rosewood, regular scale, not sting-though, cant remeber if it is active or not. It's a nice bass though, that's for sure.

7. I do!

I will say, you can get a lemon from any manufacturer though.

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    Sorry for all the questions and thanks again...you guys are the best!I think i will call them (GC)...but take it to a local shop and save the gas. anyone know anything about a dean razor one piece bass? also they had a great looking jazz MIM fretless...i loved the color it was like an ice blue and it had flatwound strings. It played good and was smooth but i thought it didn't sound as bright and punchy as the fretted one i bought.Do you like fretless and if you only had one bass would it be fretless or frets....i am a decent player but new...i think fretless is for advanced player?:bassist:

9. The strings on the fretless could have been flats and they are thumpier in sound, then round wounds.

I have a fretless P bass. I play with no problems.

My main axe is a fretted bass though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. As for MIMs, I love my P-bass. I even favored it over my Modulus Quantum 6 last year when my band was gigging. Trust me, keep it!

The Dean Razor was alright, but the body was too narrow...uncomfortable for me to play sitting down.

As far as fretless, take the plunge when you are ready. I waited 5 years, and then started. But I'm not you! And as far as the fretless not being punchy, there are many tricks around that, such as dialing the volume knobs to favor the bridge pickup, and putting Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats on (yeah I know, shameless plug, but I love them on my fretless Jazz!):bassist:

Hopefully this helps!

11. :meh: Haaa! I thought I was the only one. I had a MIM Fender J fretless a few years ago and the the neck was smoove!... with the fretlines. That was the best part 'bout the bass. The pickups seemed to distort a bit when I cranked it, and I had the same bridge problem, except on the A string. The first time it fell out I found it, the second time I never found it.

I sold it and got a MIA Jazz, and I absolutely love that bass. Tho I hear some of the MIMs can be good. You could always get a replacement bridge, Leo Quan Badass or gotoh. Good luck!

12. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    O.K. guys went back today GC...can't take a week to get back cuz i want to play that bad. They were cool and i didnt push for nothing for my troubles caused by them.I tryed the shector with the EMG's and it had punch...but did't feel the quality as i felt in the MIM jazzes. there is a cool ice blue frettless jazz and i tryed it on Sat. I tryed it again and loved the tone and smoothness....so i bought it and left the fretted there for them to fix and resell.i love the cool effects of sliding and it makes it easy on the finger not like round wounds. IT is so quiet and slick. The problems are my ear -hitting flats and sharps like a madman...but after a hour or two i am learning the neck and am getting the feel of it.I feel it has a good low end and can get up but not like a fretted.the salesman ordered me one in the box that will be in a few weeks...but i might keep this one since i am getting a feel for it. I want to thank all of you for the help and i will keep posting for help. Treena love your bass and you have been a huge help.

13. See, now you are talking like a true bassist, you might end up keeping them both!

Thats what we call GAS, wanting a bass so bad we can't go without it!:D

Congrats and show us some pictures when you get a chance!

Glad I could be of help!

[​IMG]
    Treena