1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mad GAS attack! Darryl Jones 5er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CapnSev, Mar 16, 2009.

1. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    So I thought I was done GASsing for a while because my Stingray 5 has really satisfied my tone needs/wants, but I stopped into GC today just for fun (which usually has absolutely nothing) and played a used white/maple Darryl Jones 5 ($950).

Oh man...

I'm not big on jazz bass-type tone, it never cuts through quite the way I like, but the feel on this thing was amazing! It was like butter to play, I loved the string spacing and neck feel. In fact the overall feel and balance was superb! I am having serious thoughts about trading the 'Ray, as it's the only way I could afford it.

Arghh!

2. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Laklands play/feel like butter........My 55-94 has been my main axe for ~7 years. The 55-94 neck is the same profile/design on the DJ5. To me, the neck on the 55-94 and DJ5 feels way better than any Ray I have ever played.

If you are not a fan of jazz-bass tone.....look at the 55 series. Same neck as the DJ5 but with more MM tone and less Jazz tone.

3. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    I would say the sound matters most. Because you will get the GAS bass and you'll love it fer a little while then end up hating it from it's tone. I say it is your descion because ull have ta live with it but if u could put in the pickups from the bass u own now into the 1 ur gassin fer ud be set!

4. Jluckie3

Jluckie3

Mar 14, 2008
    endorsing artist Lakland basses
    too late if it's the salt lake one i just put it on layaway

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Dude - I hate you and want to thank you at the same time.

6. The only way to avoid Lakland GAS and regrets of any kind is to buy every single Lakland USA and Lakland Skyline you can find. Every one.

7. I truly don't see how a man can go wrong trading a 'ray in on a (good) Jazz-type bass (esp. a Lakland). When it comes to getting a vast a'RAY (no pun intended) of tones,a Jazz is more suited for that type of application.Don't get me wrong,yes,at one time I've owned a 'Ray.Lovem',but not as an all-purpose workhorse.

8. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
  9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
  10. blondmix3

blondmix3 Supporting Member

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    You won't regret it... I know I'm not letting go of mine!!!

dj1-1.

11. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs

good philosophy!!!!

Mine is RW but I MAY be convinced to part with it!

12. Hi, can I have weight of your bass? I am just curious. It looks great BTW.

13. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Width of the nut and radius is different b/t the 55 series and DJ5. Profile feels ever so slightly rounder on the DJ5 also.

I believe the JO5 and 55 series are pretty much the same at the nut and radius. Believe the profile is also, but my 55 seemed to have a slightly “flatter” neck profile in the higher register.

14. blondmix3

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    Between 9 and 9.5 lbs.

15. blondmix3

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    Yeah, my understanding is that all the Lakie fivers have the same neck profile EXCEPT for the DJ.

16. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    correct. the radius is different and the DJ5 is only 21 frets while the 55s are 22 frets. The DJ5 radius is 12" while the 55s are a compound radius from 10"-13". Also, the final fret width on the DJ is 3" while 3.3" on the 55s.