1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay - Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flymo Wang, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    Hey folks,

sorry, it's another delay-based question, but quite a specific one!

I tried a Mad Prof DB Delay a couple of years back, and loved the sound of the delays, and (even though it's digital), the way it oscillated. I have tried so many analog, digital and analog-voiced digital delays since then, and nothing has sounded as nice to me.

The problem with the MP pedal was that once you dialled in delays beyond 12 o'clock on the pedal, there was sooo much noise that pedal was unusable. I imagine this is either as the pedal is voiced for guitar, or as it's not got noise reduction cicruits, or whatever (I'm no engineer!)

My question is, has anyone tried one of these recently, are the noise problems still there? Or, can anyone who has tried one of these, and knows how it sounds, recommend me an alternative pedal that sounds the same, or v similar!

I have tried the maxon AD9-Pro, subdecay echobox, DD-3, RE-20 space echo, catalinbread montavillian, EQD dispatch master, malekko 300 (bright), and probably a few more I can't remember...

I may just bite the bullet and get another DBD and just use it for short delays, but would rather find a delay that sounds as good without the flaw! I don't need tap tempo, or any other features, just a nice sounding delay that is like the DBD!!

thanks all!

2. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    OK - so i've had a look around the net, and it seems I most likely bought a DBD when they were 600ms, and due to complaints from people with experiences like mine, they changed the pedal to its current spec of 450ms, to cut out the noise...

so i'll probably try one of these newer ones - so the question now is - PCB or hand wired??