Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mad Props to Flea...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ...for using the Dorian mode in his slap-solo in "Stone Cold Bush."

I remembered how to play that one day, and I realized that he actually used a natural sixth within a minor context...in a slap solo.

Next up: Flea doing a fretless solo using the Locrian mode:eek: ;)

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't think he was consciously using dorian, it just came out that way. If you analyze any song, the notes will come from SOME sort of scale. Doesn't mean it was intentional though. Especially in this case, this isn't how "modes" are used. Everything has theory in it, though.

Why does this deserve "props", again?

Edit: Somehow, I accidently copied Gruffpuppy's joke into my post! Strange.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    uh, yeah. every song you've ever heard uses some aspect of music theory, especially pop/pop-rock tunes. in fact, the more interesting songs tend to use more complex music theory - there's a lesson to be learned there.

in fact, mad props to _you_ for figuring it out and making the connection. :)

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm just glad that he wasn't satisfied with the minor-pentatonic scale that he uses oh-so much ("higher ground" anyone?)

i kinda was aware that flea probably didn't consciously decide to use some "obscure" sequence, it's because it is an aberration from his standard. then again, mothers milk was recorded about 13 years ago.

maybe that solo was the catalyst for his becoming a more tasteful player?

or is this a beating of a dead horse and that i'm just anxious for their new record to come out?

thanks, jt. i'm assuming your approbation is intended for me (wishful thinking), and that it was, indeed, a positive remark.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I agree with John on this one.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, it was, and it was. when someone makes the connection between the songs that they like and the music theory behind them - what makes the song sound the way it sounds - that's a huge step in their development as a musician.