1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mad props to Opeth

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marlat, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I just caught Opeth live last night in Sydney and it was an absolutely awesome gig. THey played in front of 3000, which they said was the largest gig they had played (not sure if that's true or not). They played for a full 2 hours and Mikael was absolutely hillarious cracking jokes between songs etc.

The new songs also sounded great. Grand Conjuration and Baying of the Hounds absolutely rocked. They closed out with a Deep Purple cover and then Deliverance which, although i've heard it live 3 times now, rocks harder each time.

Top gig!

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I never figured you to use the expression "mad props" Mark. Very funny. :D

-Mike

3. which deep purple song?

4. Opeth has been my favorite band for a while now. I like every style of music, and it took me a while but the growling grew on me. I absolutely love them. I saw them live this past November and like you said, they were AMAZING! Mikael is hilarious inbetween songs.

They're amazing.

5. Mad props indeed. What a band they are.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm curious myself. Putting the new keyboard player to work are we? :cool:

I need to see them live!

7. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I might like them if the singer would just stop that scream crap.

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Soldier of Fortune - it was awesome. Still not quite as cool as the cover of Remember Tomorrow on My Arm's Your Hearse. But cool nevertheless! :cool:

Some Mikael gold:

"I love this country....I love it so much I spent my honeymoon here. I have ****** in your country. I even got **** jobs in your country. Ah...those were the days."

"I was contacted by a famous actor in Hollywood who said he wanted to make the sequel to a famous movie he made in the 70's. He was wondering if i'd be interested in being sodomised. I said, Burt....**** off. [played deliverance]".

"People in this country seem to have the impression that everyone from Sweden spends all there time naked and having sex. We do."

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    He's brilliant isn't he! Opeth is just simply the best metalband out there atm.

10. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

Then I guess you'll never like them. :rolleyes:

11. Ruddwijk

Ruddwijk

Apr 25, 2006
    used to listen alot to them, but after a while it all seems the same. cool band, but dont put them on too much at home anymore.

saw'em 3 times, really cool gigs!

12. I'd be interested in hearing that...one of the more "obscure" DP songs imo, but i really liked the stormbringer cd, so thats really cool!

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This was the mindset that my close minded friend was under until I kept forcing Opeth down his throat. First off, in a lot of cases, a standard vocal melody would sound weak, generally unbefitting of a metal setting. When there is clean singing, it is during quiet dynamic parts. If he tried that during a black metal type part, it wouldn't mix.

Looking at your influences, you're more a jazz/funk/blues kinda guy. But I've noticed a lot of old school metal fans put down screamers (Opeth is fairly non abrasive actually), I'd rather listen to that than high falcetto vocals.

It's an acquired taste, if you don't wish to acquire it, I'd recommend avoiding metal.

14. Sounds wonderful, man! I caught their Seattle show in October. Mikael should make a comedy CD. Some bits:

"This is a song I wrote while m***terbating to Burt Reynolds....it's called 'Deliverance.'"

"Hello Seattle! We are Opeth from Stockholm, Sweden. It's good to be here. You know, Seattle has had a great music scene-

*CROWD CHEERS*

And some of these bands I like very much. Now, you will call me [a] f***ing pussy, but......I LOVE Heart."

*CROWD CHEERS*

"You guys like Heart too?"

*CROWD CHEERS*

"Alrighty then."

15. thats one problem i have with metal...i've never heard any opeth music, but i do listen to some metal, and i love the way that bands like korn and soil (old soil) sound, but its hard to find good vocals that match metal guitars, basses and drums...I still listen to some metal, but i try to not listen to the vocals...i am not a fan of the screaming, or high pitched wailing, or the cookie monster vocals...oh well :)

16. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    When it comes to metal I'm more of and oldschool guy as you said. Sabbath, Maiden, Blue Oyster Cult, Old Metallica, Megadeth somewhat, Iron Butterfly :) . Those guys weren't big on falsetto, except maybe Maiden. I think they sound much better as an instrumental band. They seem not to wank much if any, and have some cool changes, but then he starts screaming and it just ruins it for me.

17. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Stupid crazy props! They were simply amazing when I saw them too. They're sound was sooooo tight and loud, i was blown away. I was so pumped after seeing them, I literally left that show like I'd just seen a legendary band in concert...Guess I did.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    True, I actually am starting to mellow out myself. I use to love metal, most of it I can't take due to screaming, I don't mind low growly one's like Opeth, believe it or not, Opeth has very accessable screaming, he sits very non abrasively in the mix.

19. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah as far as screaming go I could bear to listen to it, but I wouldn't listen to song after song, most screamers it's instant off.

20. He reminds me of a big teddy bear, with that cheeky wee grin of his. Then he unleashes that voice:eek: