Made a record...NOW WHAT?! Help!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Greyvagabond, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    I'm sure we've all said that statement at some point in time! My band is just finishing up tracking out debut record (you can head most the songs pre-production at the myspace link below!). Its comming out great; absolutely the best musical project I've been involved in to date. We have a decent fan base in Boston; we have great graphics and merch. We are planning a 3k publicity blitz about 3 months before the CD release party. But, after that...we're at a loss! How do we shop this thing to labels? How many CDs should we initially produce (the answer could be ZERO!). I'd love to hear from you experienced people who have delt with record contracts, touring, balancing a full-time job, etc. Help me from freaking out, or letting this great record be all for naught!:help:

2. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I heard an interview with an indie label promoter who said if your band is selling 10 cd's at each show, you are doing well enough to catch the interest of his label.

so 10 cds x the number of upcoming gigs sounds like a reasonable limit. Maybe also find indie record stores that will sell on consignment, and add another 10 per store.

Don't print 1000+ unless you have room under your bed the a box or two of unsold CDs (speaking form experience)

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There are any number of promoters who will offer packages to get the CD to radio stations, web radio and print media for reviews. There will also be promoters who will shop it to labels, but you guys need to figure out what you are looking for (and really should have asked and answered these questions before you paid for studio time). What does a label get you that you can't buy on your own? You're not really gonna get tour support (from a label) unless you're REALLY selling a lot of CDs, and they are going to bill a lot of those expenses against sales.

Printing CDs (and associated costs of design and printing for the booklets and tray cards) really is a "cost of scale" decision - the more you print, the cheaper each one is. You have to figure how many you'll use for promotion (and if you use a promoter, they'll help you figure that out) and how many gigs you have booked in the next 3 months. If you take that "10 CDs a gig" number, you can get a "guesstimate" of how many you have a strong sales projection for.

Why are you spending $3K 3 months before the CD is available? Or are you planning on spending more once you finally release? What are you looking to gain by a publicity campaign prior to release? Where is the $3K going?

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1 My band did that and we're doing that with our new album. The good thing is, if people catch on to your new stuff, you can dig the old stuff out from under that bed!

Seriously to the OP - promo, promo, promo. It's not all CD that's gonna get you big. Work on your myspace, talk to fans after shows and build that fan base up.

5. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Why are you spending $3K 3 months before the CD is available? Or are you planning on spending more once you finally release? What are you looking to gain by a publicity campaign prior to release? Where is the $3K going?

This is 3 months before the CD release party, not from when the cd is complete; the idea is building enough buzz w/ reviewers, etc, before the show. Then, hopefully, the show will get some major press...well, major for an indie band!

6. drcool

drcool

Jan 9, 2008
    We just finished our CD also and as we were getting the replicated we decided to go with 1000. Originally we wanted 500 but pricewise it was about $1200 for 500 CDs and $1300 for 1000 so that made the decision pretty easy. So I would figure out how many CDs you want and then look at the quantity price breaks.

7. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    I would shop around; especially with your sound engineer he probably knows some people... You can get 500 CDs done for under 1000 without even trying.

8. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    As stated before, you and your band should have already had a marketing plan BEFORE you started recording a CD. Now that it's done you may find yourself scrambling for ideas. Generating a huge buzz with promotion is almost common place now. Securing an Itunes deal should almost be your first priority. Last I heard CD sales were down 17 percent, and Itunes sales were up 27 percent. The way of the physical CD is going wayside to the downloadable content available now. The more digital media deals you can get a hold of the better off your album sales will be.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You still haven't told me if you're spending $3000 for a promoter who has a package that will place the CD in print media, web media and radio stations or $3000 for a guy to stand in front of Starbucks in a chicken costume handing out flyers drawn by the drummer's girlfriend. Or something in between.

10. drcool

drcool

Jan 9, 2008
    Yeah, they had cheaper prices but this included a 6 panel full color printed CD wallet, color printing on the CD, shrinkwrapping, UPC code, and a bunch of other stuff. We could have gotten cheaper but for 1000 CDs we couldn't find anywhere that came close to this price for all we got.

11. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    If it's a new band and all that.. I would just go with the 500 and do a 1 card and see how the interest is. You can always make a lot more later and do a multi-card front with lyrics and pictures etc etc later anyways...

12. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Ha, the publicity person's e-mail says this:

Objectives:

The primary objectives for your national press campaign will be to create awareness, visibility, and interest, also known as buzz via your cd. Rainmaker Public Relations will create an impressive press kit with features, interviews and reviews of the project. We will aggressively go after larger web-zine reviews and internet radio playlists as well as all national press outlets. Our goals are industry buzz and attention, interviews, reviews and cd sales.

Though they often overlap, the media we work with is broken down into two specific divisions: print and electronic. I'll be marketing your cd to major and independent print media to include: Billboard Magazine, Amplifier, Magnet, Paste Magazine, Music Connection Magazine, Performing Songwriter, Under The Radar, Venus, Womenonair.com, Performer, Lollipop & many others. Electronic media will also play an important role in the overall cross-media mix. We'll focus on several independent outlets which attract heavy online traffic such as: Popculture Press, Ink19.com Allmusicguide.com, Popmatters.com, Blogcritics.com, Indiemusicspot.com, Pitchforkmedia.com and many others. Lastly, we will submit your cd to all viable direct satellite music services such: Musicchoice.com, Sirius, XMSatalite.com, Live365.com, Spinner etc etc.

We will expect your cd sales & overall recognition to increase
    significantly!

How Does It Work?:

The national campaign we discussed will begin w/ Rainmaker Public Relations pitching a hit list of outlets that we have targeted specifically for your cd. We will pitch via telephone and then send out press kits soon after. Follow-up will take place two weeks later.You will see immediate results on web zines and internet radio within 4-6 weeks. Monthly magazines have a longer lead time, usually between 2-3 months. This is a 6 month campaign.

Payment:

The cost of your national press campaign will be 40 hours @ a rate of $50.00/hr or $2000.00 plus expenses such as telephone, postage and packaging. We require that payments be made within the first 6 weeks of the campaign. All invoices are e-mailed, unless otherwise stated. We accept checks, money orders and PayPal.

What I will need to start:

-125 cd's
    -125 bios ( we will re-write)
    -cd cover art (jpeg/tiff) High Resolution; 300 dpi's
    -Deposit $800.00

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    So the answer to "Where is the $3K going?" is "To a promotional company/person."

Didn't seem that hard....

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021