1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Made a sketch of my dream rig... whatcha think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Dec 10, 2006.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    dreamrig.

Besides being overkill, of course... ;)

2. So...uhhh, when's the tour start?

3. Wow, i didnt think you'd be downsizing your rig dude ;)

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Wow. What will you use as a spare for the Sunn?

5. The rack rig is basically what I play through. Good choice, good sound.

6. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I didn't see a hand-truck, back brace, roadies, or moving van anywhere in your sketch!

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Hmm... another Sunn? :p

Lots of deep lows?

The rack will have wheels, as will the cabs. I do need a trailer, though. The roadies we have taken care of.

8. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    why a shroeder if you are going to swap out the speakers and replace them with those others?

Are they Jorg's upgrades?

If not, shouldnt they get a cab designed for them, instead of one designed for Jorg's 12's (eminences).

Otherwise, turn it up... i bet i could hear you from here!

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I want guitar speakers for the top cabs.

10. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Then get guitar cabs. You'd just be pi$$ing away $$ by buying Schro's and swapping the drivers. Which might be a good thing in your neck of the woods, I don't know. You may want to save the money now for the hearing aids you're going to need in a few years.
    :bassist: :bag:

11. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    Forget that solid state nonsense in the rack, if a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing right. Three more sunns should do the trick, and methinks maybe the marshal 4x12 bass number that clocks in at 120 lbs instead of those schroeders (four of 'em, of course). You'll want a full, not necesarily hi-fi sound when you really get to rocking.

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I like the fact that the Schroeder 4x12s are tall, yet narrow. I've only got a Ford Explorer right now!

Schroeder's aren't exactly hi-fi, but they're clearer sounding than Ampegs. I like grit, but I like definition as well. I want low end clarity (completely clean), but fuzzy midrange & treble. Also, again, I like the size of the Schroeders. Right now, i'm schlepping 120+lb Sunn 2x15s, and while the weight is a pain in the ass, it's the actual size that's the biggest bitch loading them into my car.

Remember, i'm probably only gonna start out with two cabs. Four for when we open for The Who (before another one dies...). :smug:

13. hcbassist

hcbassist

Nov 23, 2006
    Knoxville
    Ahaha, your cabinet threw me off because there's an ambient metal band called Sunn O))).
    I just made the relation between that logo and the band though, haha.

But it looks fantastic!

14. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    The thing is, at those higher frequencies the side firing speakers in the Schroeders aren't doing anything for you. You'd be better off with 2 212 guitar cabs which are even narrower, shallower, and lighter than what you're considering.

But hey, it's your rig.

15. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I gathered that. Then why use a cab designed specifically for bass? It is my understanding that the offset woofers act as a sort of low pass.

Looks cool though.

Maybe a standard 4x10 guitar top on top so it fits in your truck?

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Sean, I love your enthusiasm!!!

I'd say do it while you're young... When I was your age, I didn't think twice about carrying around my EV SRO loaded 2x15, my (former:bawl: ) Marshall Major head or a Fender Twin loaded with EVM 12Ls (about 90 lbs worth). Now....sheesh!

17. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    A 3000 watt amp on the bottom cabs, paired up with a 60 watt amp on top? Isn't that kind of a mismatch?

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If that were the case, why would Jorg be using the angled design for his guitar cabs as well? :eyebrow:

That 60 watt amp gets ridiculously loud when pushing just mids & highs. The 3,100 watt one is for headroom @ 40hz. ;)

19. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I think you need to get rid of all that stuff on the left over there and get yaself a 2000S > 4x12 Marshall for the highs and a Coliseum 300 > Sunn 118 for the lows