Made in China P-bass in Ash!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KenToby, Mar 15, 2010.

1. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    So I happened to stop in a local Guitar Center yesterday looking at the used stuff and I ran across an Ash Squier made in China. It was all stock with a rosewood fingerboard and a white pickguard. Althought the body was of 3 pieces of Ash the colors matched and the grain was somewhat similar from piece to piece. The kicker is that was only $89.00!! As you may know from my many other posts, I have over 40 basses that include MTD, Alembic, Smith, Bossa, etc. so t's not like I had to have this bass but a good looking P bass in ash for $89!?!?!
    Question: I'm seeing that these are no longer built in Ash, does anyone know anything about these Chinese made Ash Squier Precisions?

Thanks,

KT

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    dont know about them, but i probably would have jumped on it as well.
    cool find.

3. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    The ash body is probably worth the $89. Are you sure it was Ash? I am assuming it was a natural finish if you could see the grain that well.

4. I have a squier standard strat that is a nice 2 piece ash body. Full thickness and all. There are seveal bodies out there that are ash, but the they don't belong to any particular series or anything. Just random luck, The only ones that were spec'd to be ash were the Pro Tones, but they were Made in Korea. Nice find. Post a pic when you can.

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'm not aware of any Ash Squiers other than the Pro tone series.

Are you sure it just isn't a Squier neck screwed onto another body? SX did a natural Ash P bass for a while.

6. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    sir, the '82 JV Squier with natural and burst finish had ash body, those with solid color had alder body. In '83 bodies were mostly alder though some ash did appear. Even some of the SQ series from '83 had ash body.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I was under the impression that the older MIJ Squier SQ's were Sen... which looks an awful lot like Ash.

I suppose it's possible though. None of those would be made in China though.

8. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I think all of the current MIM Fender and Squiers that are Sunburst finish have ash veneer on the front and back.
    Rocky

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021