Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Made in Germany" label question

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ctxbass, May 12, 2004.

1. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I was wondering if the origin label in an imported German bass would read "Made in West Germany" rather than "Made in Germany" if it was imported after WWII and before the
    reunification in 1990.

2. Possibly, but it could also be "Made in Occupied Germany" for a while after the war as well as "Made in East Germany" among others.

3. This is usually the case, at least in my experience. In fact, we just got another Morelli that has:"Made in USSR occupied Germany" printed in black letters right up below the E string tuner! I'd never seen that before. Maybe inside by the label, but not up there under the varnish.

4. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Thanks. So "Made in Germany" would most likely mean
    pre-war or post unification. I have a carved Lewis and Sons, no date, and very little available information. I had thought it to be a late 1960's- 70's instrument, but after thinking about the post-war situation, I think it may be older. The bassist I bought it from had purchased it (used ) around 1980.

5. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    From my experience everything that we imported from West Germany from the 60's up until reunification was marked "Made in West Germany" - if it came from East Germany it was marked "Made in the DDR" or a variation of that.

Steve

6. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I had a 50's plywood German that was marked "Made in West Germany."

7. Growing up in former West Germany, you can see any kind of variations. Even post WWII and pre-reunification many instruments were labeled "Made in Germany". It just depended upon the manufacturer's "mood".

Another example. In the ealry 80s a manufacturer came out with a BRD sticker for automobiles instead of the "D" for "Deutschland" (Germany). The former West German government got rid of the "BRD" sticker very fast, as far as I can remember. I believe that the reunification was in the West Germans' minds long before 1989.

8. Many times, the orginal label is covered up by the wholesaler's brand label. I remember a case in the 1960's when my late mentor purchased a truck load of "seconds" from Scherl & Roth (back in the good old days when Heinrich Roth was still in charge). Even though these were clearly made for S&R, they did not have a brand label inside - only a small country of origin label. It would seem that the wholesaler added their house label, which also noted the country of origin, at the time of setup. Did you experiece anything like this?

9. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Yeah Bob - I've seen that and lots more as you might imagine. Some of it makes no sense to me like when you have a fairly well known label - one that's been promoted and gained some acceptability which is then removed and replaced by a lesser known label. Vanity? Perhaps. In a recent case I was opening some 15 year old Eberle basses from the Musima factory which as you know was in the then East Germany or DDR and although the carton was marked W Eberle (which was really my father's label) I pulled out a bass that had no resemblance to anything I'd seen from Musima and I suddenly got to thinking perhaps because private business was illegal the "state enterprise" - Musima in this case wasn't making deals with local makers who would deliver a bass now and then for some money on the side. The bass I found did not have the Eberle label although was still marked Musima .. in any event the country of origin always remained.

10. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was checking out a plywood bass today that clearly had a label put over the original. All is said was "West Germany"

Is was a 1960-70's bass.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have a bass that is labeled "Made in West Germany." It was made in the 1970's.

12. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

I just got back from the shop. It says "East Germany", that is placed over the other label, from what I could tell it looked liked it just said germany.

This bass clearly hasn't been played in sometime...lots of dust collecting on it. Just in the few hours I played, it really started to open up nicely. They are asking $1300 and it actually had a decent set up.

13. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Its probably from the former Musima factory ... aside from the country of origin is there some label with a name in the bass?

14. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    No. Just the two labels inside. I am guessing the label that was covered says "germany" because it started with G and ended with a Y, the other label (East Germany) clearly covering the rest. It did have a bright orange finish too it. Also, for a plywood it seemed to be put together very well. No cracks, warping, neck joint looked really solid. Just had a scratch down one shoulder and the finish is flaking off a bit on the scroll.

15. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
  16. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I would have to say yes. Just thirty years older or so.

So is this a case of whomever had it last in Germany stuck their label in it???

17. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
    In most cases, it should be "GDR" instead of "DDR" for Eastern Germany. What means the same of course.

18. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Here's mine... :D :

Attached Files:

19. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    So if i were to have a label that says "Made in Germany" in the bass. What possible dates could it have been made?

Its a Flatback with a nice solid top and ply sides and back. V ery dark brown varnish. It very light tho.

20. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I once had a 4/4 laminated Lewis & Sons that I bought from the original owner, the late Chuck Sanders(Maynard Ferguson, WSM TV/Radio, Nashville Brass). It was very similar to the Juzek design and may have been made in one of the factories they used. The label even said "Made for Lewis & Sons". I think from the late 60's. Can be seen briefly in the movie "Coal Miner's Daughter" in a studio scene.