"Made in heaven" amp+cab matches

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nemo, Nov 14, 2005.

1. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Title says all. Post the MIH amp + cab(s) pairs you felt they are really meant for each other..
    Why not to have these happy couples summed up in one thread?
    Add suitable music style for it and complementing bass if you want.
  2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ashdown EVO amp with any Bergantino cabinet.
  3. Ampeg Classic cabs with ampeg Classic heads? Sounds made to me. lol.

The ultimate metal rig is a mesa 400+ and their Roadready 810. Absolutly beautiful.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    AMP/Thunderfunk + one of Jörg Schroeder's cabs :cool:
    If you want an earthly compromise of great tone and great portability/small size, then there's the 1210 (or the minis); if you have no problems with weight, transport, onstage space, then there are the bigger cabs.
  5. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    My Aguilar AG-500 & Schroeder 410 combination has made me gasless (well, at least as far as amps/cabs go). Now I've got my eye on a Lakland JO4 :)

Attached Files:

6. +1.... really well matched for an amazingly loud and punchy rig.

The EpiUL line (especially the 410UL) with a Walter Woods ULTRA head seems to work particularly well if you like a very precise, articulate, modern sound.
  7. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Yep, as the owner of GB-440+1210 rig I can confirm it plays very nice indeed!!

Keep these pairs coming! I am not looking for a rig myself, but would like to see some cases of amp and cab matches when one's qualities particularly well complement deficiences/qualities of the other and vice versa. When the result is more than a sum of two parts, if you know what I mean.

There is a lot of good rigs around but some cases are special..
  8. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    A Mesa M-Pulse 600 with an Aguilar GS210 and GS112. Nice punch, heavy bottom and just the right amount of tubey warmth. Both my active Pedullas (Thunderbolt and Buzz) and my passive Lakland Skyline JO sound killer through this rig! :D
  9. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    What about your TF550/410UL rig???
  10. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    GK 1001rb-II and Ampeg 810E
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have to admit, from someone who doesn't like the GK amps normally, I was shocked at how great the amps sound through Ampeg classic cabs. I heard a 400rb-III through an Ampeg 410 classic and was amazed by the great sound. I would think this is a perfect all around setup.
  12. anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Aguilar DB750 and Accugroove El Whappo Jr.

The sound of God.
  13. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    i have to agree with the orignal poster,i use a gb 440 and dr.bass bl 1260 3way nice rig indeed!! :bassist:
  14. getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    I have a couple of favorites:

Demeter VTBP-201s -> Stewart World 2.1 -> (2) Acme Low B2
    Talk about clean and brutal at the same time. If you like hi-fi, this is it for me. Kills with my Warwick.

Kern IP-777 -> Peavey DPC 1400X -> Bergantino HT-112 & EX-112
    Modern old school, if you will. Very fat sounding, great with a Fender-esque bass.

More recently:
    SWR Interstellar Overdrive -> Peavey DPC 1400X -> Bergantino HT-112 & EX-112
    Wow, now if this doesn't sound like a little SVT rig, I don't know what does. This is a lot of fun to play and seems to match up extremely well with my current music.
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just to be different, i'll use italics ;)

Kern IP-777 + Epifani UL cabs = thick, rich, chewy, fingerstyle tone

EA iAMP-800 + Acme B-4 = HUGE, fat, punch city tone

Demeter HBP-1 + Demeter VTHF-300M + Acme B-2 = smooth, silky, sweet, fat tubiliscent tone

Avalon U5 + Crest CA9+ Acme B-4 = hifidelity, "studio in a box, but 1,000x louder" tone
  16. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    anastasio has named mine. Tight, but round and full.
  17. I love that also. To me, the TF sounds great with everything I use it with... not so with the WW.... The Walter can sound very sterile and lifeless with some cabs... so that's why I mentioned that particular combination. However, I use the TF and Epi410UL on 90% of my gigs now... it's my favorite. I guess that logic is a little convoluted... hope it makes sense.

The TF sound great with my Epi, with my Scrho, with my LDS.... :hyper:
  18. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've got a nice rig, but I think the best thing I've ever heard (for electric) was an Aggie DB359 into an EAVL210. For upright it would be a WW Lo-Power (red light) into a cheap cab loaded with a JBL 1x12. Go figure.

19. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh yea,

forgot to mention the obvious, but most any rig made up of one company sounds killer. EA iAMP-800 + NL210, Epifani UL502 + UL310, Aguilar DB750 + GS112 (2x), Eden WT550 + 410XLT etc. etc. etc.
  20. Mesa Bass 400+ and Bergantino NV610.