Made in Japan Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hutton Steel, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Hi everybody,

Not only am I new to this fine forum but I am also a new bass player. Having been a guitar player for too many years to remember I have seen the light and now wonder why it took me so long to pick up the guitar with the big long neck. I absolutely love the bass. What on earth am I going to do with my guitar gear as it sits gathering dust. This all brings me to my point.

At the moment I play a Musicman Sub4 through a Mesa Walkabout scout. The Musicman was a prize my son won at the Bass Institute in London. As he already had various basses I picked it up and started to play. I am now totally hooked on bass. One of my guitars is a Tokai ES120 (335 lookalike). It is such a well-made guitar that I wondered as to the quality of Fender Made-in-Japan Precisions. I would like a precision to complement the M'man for that old school sound but can't really afford (son in London etc) the American bass.
    Has anyone out there got any advice to offer on these basses?

2. My experience with Fender MIJ basses has been very positive. I have only owned Jazz basses and not the P-bass, but they are made very well! They certainly beat MIM, and some say in the early days of MIJ, that it beat MIA quality.
  3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Fender's MIJ basses (and guitars) have a reputation for being very good quality. Many people consider them to be on par or better than the MIA instruments.
  4. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    There's that well-known quote by Dan Smith, who was head of Fender's USA marketing when their production team went to Japan to review the new MIJ instruments: "Everybody came up to inspect them and the guys almost cried, because the Japanese product was so good - it was what we had been having a hell of a time trying to do."
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, I don't care whether or its USA or CIJ I'll play it. Mexican's can be a bit finnicky but USA and CIJ quality is generally top notch. My only gripe with CIJ is the tuners which I replace instantly with Hipshots anyway.
  6. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I have a MIJ Precision and Jazz circa mid 80's. Both are excellent instruments in terms of sound and construction. Both have been played and played hard before I got them and I continue to do so as well. The Jazz is so good that it has become my main bass for gigging. Of course this will end as soon as my Valenti arrives on 10/6.
  7. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    a thumbs up for MIJ Precisions from me... if any basses offer better value for money than Japanese Fenders, I'd love to hear what they are... in my experience they're better finished than Mexican Fenders, have higher quality components and are less chunky... the body edges are a lot more rounded and look a lot more authentic & vintage than the Mexicans

and in the UK you can get a MIJ Precision for the same price as a MIM Precision... it's a no brainer