1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Made in Korea Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r6mile, May 10, 2006.

1. Does Fender still make basses in Korea? Are they good?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "Are they good?" assumes facts not in evidence.

3. Well, if they still make basses in Korea, are they good?

4. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Off topic here, but I find it interesting that there is a rock band in Islamabad.. How are things over there?

as for the Basses.. get an American Fender.. anything else is just substandard..

5. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I haven't heard of them making basses there recently, but the consesus seems to be that the Japan-made basses are excellent.

6. Well I would get an American Fender if I had the cash, but I'm a little short of cash right now.

Well things in Islamabad are doing good. In my band, we're basically all foreigners, so it's cool. We just started composing, and since there are not a lot of rock bands over here, we're pretty well known I think. You can check us out at http://semperfis.tk and http://www.soundclick.com/semperfis
    Are you from Pakistan?

7. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    cool stuff...

actually, I'm American born of mix Turkish/Lebanese mix..

8. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I own a Fender Jazz 24. It's made in Korea.

It's pretty good but it had some flaws when I got it. Fret work was iffy. Got it set up professionaly and had the frets dressed and it's excellent.

I played an American P-Bass at GC yesterday and the fret work was worse. So I guess it doesn't really matter were it's built.

As for my Korean Fender. I would say it's good.

9. OK Thank you all for your answers. srxplayer, when was your bass made?

10. Eland

Eland

Mar 4, 2004
    Denmark
    My Fender BG-29 is made in Korea. I think it is a very good ABG for the money.

11. s-curl

s-curl

Mar 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    A mexi coudn't be any worse. Best bass for the money IMO. I'd imagine a Korean would cost more brand new(if they still exist), but the lack of reputation might make for either cult following or low resale value.

12. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    All Fenders, no matter where they're made, are hit or miss as far as basic quality. I've played dozens of American Fenders and all of them that I've played so far have serious flaws in workmanship.
    The rule with Fender or any manufacturer is TRY BEFORE YOU BUY, and then only buy the specific bass that you try and like.
    You can't assume that every bass is made with the same care. They're not.

imo A great bass can be made anywhere in the world by anyone in the business.

I own a Mexican p bass deluxe that is by far the nicest Fender I've ever played, and I've played hundreds.

If I found an American made that I liked, I'd buy it, but ONLY after I tried it.

13. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I also own a 24 fret Jazz deluxe QMT.......I love it. After changing the strings and adjusting the trussrod a tad, it plays like buttah. Everything from the fretwork to the electronics is perfect.

I totally agree with the "try before you buy" quote above. I was trying to get a deal on this Jazz because it was on the floor and had been played a bit and had a few scratches, they offered me a brand new one outta the box but I took the one on the floor because I knew it played great.....a few scratches really don't bother me.

Between my MIA, MIJ, and Korean Fenders.....I honestly have to say they are all about the same. The only thing that sticks out to me is the MIA Jazz's nut is a little bit off centered, not a lot but enough that I will want to replace it with a new nut eventually.

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I can't speak for Fenders made in Korea, but I have MIJ, MIA and MIM. All are fine. Varying degrees of quality so it's important to check each one out before buying.

If you are open to other brands, there is a lot of excellent gear coming out of Korea if you're not hung up on where gear is made. The largest musical instrumanent company in the world is Korean.

15. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Interesting comments that I can agree with. I have a MIA, MIJ, MIM and a Made in China Blade.

The Blade is the best of the three and I am still waiting for Fender to build something that comes close to it. The Geddy Lee is a strong contender for second place, IMO.

16. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    American model? I've played the American and foreign models both, and even after proper setup found a night and day difference in quality.

But the key to any Bass feeling good, much less a bolt on Fender is to have it "set up" properly.. you can't always just pick it up at the bass shop and judge by that first try... I saw a Fender Jazz that had the stings what seemed to be an inch of the fret board and it felt like a cheap toy.. the shop took 10 minutes to adjust the truss rod, and tune the bridge.. put new strings on it, and it was AMAZING.. it's now my Roscoe Beck IV "go to" bass..

Many times it's been shipped, from humid to dry or vice verse and needs to be adjusted.. after you adjust it, then you can truly judge which is better.. I had a Warwick that needed the frets ground down at the edges for the same reason.. the neck shrunk ever so little from being shipped from Germany... "Try before you buy YES". but "Adjust before you try" is just as important!

The facts are Fender American basses use superior parts and materials woodwise .. so assuming the set up is the only problem with it, you're not going to find a better bass.... if on the other hand it's tolerances or finish issues, then you're not going to fix that, but in 20 years of looking at instruments I've never seen a Fender (Mexican, Japan, or American) that had obvious QC issues sitting on the shelf for sale.

Read more here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2769053&postcount=51

and here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232032&highlight=mia+mim

and try a search for MIM or MIA and you'll get many, many more hits on this...

17. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    hmm... Curious, which of the three Blade are made in China? Cause they're not charging "made in China" prices on any that I've seen..

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I asked them, by email, where they are made. They responded: made in China, assembled in Japan and set up in Basel. Older Blades were handmade by Gary Levinson. Gary still runs the business in Basel (Switzerland). Put one of those basses in the hands of an experienced player and cover the headstock. Then ask what they're playing. It would be interesting to hear the responses. They're great basses.

19. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    It was this year. I think February '06. I special ordered it at GC so it never hung on the wall in the store.

FYI. These had preamp problems in the first couple of production runs. The first one I got the Preamp blew when I changed the battery. The one it was replaced with has had no problems. Except for the fret work that I mentioned. I have had mine for about three weeks now.

20. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I just re-read your posts. My MIA, MIJ and MIM are all Fenders. I also have a Blade Tetra, which is an accurate early 60's Jazz clone.