Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Made in Mexico Fender jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ADbassman, Apr 13, 2004.

1. I just recently happened upon a Fender 5-string jazz bass, made in mexico of course, at my local guitar store. They were having a half off sale. Half off of list price that is, which still means nothing, but that brought it down to a considerablely low sum for a 5 string fender. I played it on the stores amps a couple times, and considered it entensively. I then decided to buy it.

I thought it was a great bass, until I started to have my doubts. When I took it home, it wasn't the bass I played at the store (Well, it was, but work with me here). I noticed it was quite the clank master on the frets, which annoyed me a little bit. The low B wasn't quite what I was expecting. Infact, it seems a little too low, too cumbersome, and not real use for it other than alternate notes. I'm not so sure I like this bass so much anymore, as I've been playing my Ibanez Musician bass more than the new one. Infact, I prefer the sound and feel of the ibanez, and got it for MUCH cheaper.

Therefor, I considering selling my new 5 string fender jazz. I'm wondering what kind of price it could fetch to any reasonable person. I'm not so sure I'll even be selling it, but am kinda disappointed in it, but I'll give it a good hard try before I'm locked on selling it.

Also, whats y'alls opinions on MIM fender basses, I know they've got a hit and miss reputation, and don't hold a candle to the american models, but is there more to it than that? I'm interested in hearing some input.

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Did you get it set up?

3. Come to think of it, I havn't. Seems I forgot, thanks for the reminder!

4. facepeeler217

facepeeler217

Feb 5, 2012
    Ive had a Mexican made fender jazz for almost 7 years surprisingly it still sounds great but its about the set up and your strings you choose to use.

5. this thread is from 8 years ago...

6. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Chester, Pa.,USA
    The Walking Dead, season 3.