Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Made in Mexico Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by semborg, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Okay, I have found a MiM Jazz bass that sounds great, I really like it. It do really sound better than the American ones I also have tried! (I do not know why, don't really know the differences).
    But I am not sure If I will buy it. Sometimes I think it is better to wait and find a good Made in America instead.
    But I want to buy this MiM Before anyone else. (Standard, Sunburst).

Give me some tips thank you :D

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sometimes you find gems in those MIMs. Id go for it, if you find a good one, which it seems you did, it will be a GREAT deal.

3. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I would go ahead and buy it. If you like how it grooves, there's no reason NOT to buy it.

The only reason I would wait for an MIA fender is if you wanted to avoid the possible/common problems that happen with MIMs down the road - like deadspots, nut movement, replacing the noisy pups or even the bridge.

But a solid MIM is a solid MIM. :bassist: worth every penny

4. What is "Deadspots"?

I am actually very close buying it.
    What is the avarage price for a MiM?

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    In Europe? Expensive. But then, all non-euro basses generally are.

I'd hit it. MIM's can be great basses.

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    +1

7. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Type dead spots into the search function and all will be revealed!

8. go for it , it was made by a fine mexican obviously :cool:

9. Only thing I never liked about MIMs were the pickups.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats almost a little rascist.

11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I must admit, some MIM Jazz basses can be REAL nice. I have a MIM Fretless Jazz dated 1998. It is beautiful! Perhaps a little bit of work has been done on it, and Nino Valenti did the pickguard, but it's really a quality bass. I enjoy the sound and the playability just as much as my old MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe 5'er, and that's saying a lot.

The end of the story always ends like this, on threads like this: Play a lot of them, you just might find a gem.

12. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I was at GC yestrday looking for MIM Jazz as well. Thay had a few, some looked really, nice but all were set up terribly. Some stings resting on the fretboard, some strings set up 1/2 inch above the fret board. Basically unplayable. Do these come out of Mexico set up like this, or is GC negligent. The GC guy complained that they move too many basses to quickly, to set them all up. He laughed at me when I offerred to set it up myself of he could supply an allen key. Does anyone really buy a bass set up so poorly?

13. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    All the Standard Jazz basses I tried out of the box (in a Sam Ash) were for the most setup fine. I have been to GC in NY and FL, and both did a poor job of setting up floor instruments. BTW, my new Standard Jazz is awsome! It playes like butter and has punch galore! Great instrument. The only mod I did was swap the bridge for a BadAss. The vintage style bridges are kinda whimpy!

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Great bass that was. Sounded like mine for a minute ;) but it's only got a Badass II because the bridge gave out, and the new pickguard. Otherwise, it's a phenominal bass!

15. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    If you like it - get it. It doesn't get more simple than that.

Dan

16. hey i was in the same boat, i was in the market for a MIM standard bass coz i didnt wanna shell out for the MIA, and i liked most of the MIM's i played..

Then i stumbled upon a CIJ 62 jazz re-issue, which was CHEAPER than a new MIM.

yeah japanese basses rock! :D

17. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    yeah man
    Thanks