1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Made in Mexico Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LT131, Mar 24, 2018.

1. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    I am eyeing a couple of MIM Jazz Fretless basses. I seem to remember some of you mentioning some point in the not to distant past when Fender elevated the quality of the MIM's. When might that be? What are the Pu's like in those units? Also, there are a gazillion Squier VM fretlesses floating around. Are they comparable?

2. I think the conventional wisdom is that 2008+ MIM basses are of higher quality. As always, there are gems from other years to disprove this :)

I've played Squier VMs that are easily better than MIMs, you really need to go and play them to find the good ones. Unlike some other bass brands, they are luckily quite well represented in shops.

3. In my opinion, the weak link in mim jazz basses are the pickups. If you find one you really want, replacement seymour duncans are fairly inexpensive.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  4. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    MIM quality is thru the stratosphere compaired to a decade ago.
    They are trying hard to make upper line MIM replace the old American Standard line.
    I'm a bass snob, and I own a MIM Deluxe active J. It's a lovely instrument, at just over $1K U.S. If vintage is your thang...the 50's and 60's reissues are a lot of bang for the buck, specially the Nitro series.

TN WOODMAN and electracoyote like this.
  5. It's not meant to say that good MIM Standards weren't made before '08. You can certainly find some good MIM Standards made before '08.

The conventional wisdom is that from '08 forward, in terms of percentages, there was a marked bump in quality and consistency. And if you play enough MIM Standards from all eras and production runs, it's hard not to notice. I have spent far more time, money, and taken more heroic measures to correct issues and flaws with MIM Standards made before '08 than after.

In other words, I would have little to no hesitation buying a MIM Standard produced after '08 long-distance, but I am done buying those made before '08 long distance. If it was made before '08, it might be a fine bass, but you REALLY need to try before you buy to be certain; conversely, I have three outstanding MIM Standards made after '08, all purchased sight unseen. Twenty-minute set ups out of the box, ready for the studio and stage, fit and finish is flawless, no issues with all three. That's crazy good odds.

Additional bonus after '08 (for those who like this sort of thing): Maple boards, finally. Like @Paulabass said, from '08 forward they really doubled down on this model, and you can tell from the more solid feel and playability that this is a new era for the MIM Standard.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018