1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Made in Mexico, Modded in America!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, May 8, 2010.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Spent more than I will ever get out of it, but it's just right! The only problem I had was string/pickup pole alignment. The E alignment was pretty bad. I replaced the saddles,screws and springs with those from an American Deluxe bridge I had. It allowed me to move the E over some and correct that problem (see slight angle on saddle.)

I swapped the tuners to Hipshot HB7's, the pickups to Fender CS 60's, had the controls rewired, a .047 cap and Switchcraft jack installed. The pickguard was changed to a Fender tort unit (drop in, no mod needed.) I am very happy with how it turned out.

Attached Files:

2. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    one more shot.

Attached Files:

3. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    that look very decent.

My Fender Classic 60 was made in Mexico too but i modded to sound better than any MIA i play in the shop.

4. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Are those tuners a direct replacement for the MiM ones? I need to replace the tuners on my MiM Jazz, and it would be nice to have something I can install in 5 minutes.

My main bass right now is a modded MiM Jazz, 2000 black body, 1995 neck, Fender 1962 reissue pickups, Badass II bridge, Tort pickguard. I had to do some sanding on the bridge pickup rout in order for the longer bridge pickup to fit, but that was common for pre-2001 MiM jazz basses.

I think my next bass might be a another MiM Jazz, this time sunburst with a maple fretboard.

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    They are a direct replacement. Holes line up perfectly.

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Nice job. Looks great.

I have an '05 MIM Jazz. I modded mine with a BAII bridge, SD SJB II , shielding and a white pearloid pick guard. It has a good set up and plays and sounds as good or better that any MIA I have played.

I'm considering changing the tuners but I haven't had any problems with originals. Have you benefited much from the tuner upgrade? I'm considering the re-wire as well. How is that working for you?

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I just finished this, and it's not gig tested. The Hipshots are smoother and they allow me to get to the desired pitch without going past and then backing up. As for the re-wire, it started when I installed the pickups. The ground wire for the front pickup was buried in a HUGE blob of solder. I got the pot too hot when I de-soldered it. All the volume came at the last bit of knob travel. So I asked a friend if he would hook me up. He gave me a choice of using CTS pots like the originals or Alpha's (which felt much smoother!) I went with the Alpha's. The factory wiring was like a rat's nest so, he cleaned it all up.
    His main gig is making custom tube amps and building guitars and he graciously took my project in.

Here is a link to his site: http://www.smithcustomamps.com/
    I tell him he should build bass heads! He says, "well...they would be super heavy and huge." I say put out a hand wired tube amp with the right features and nobody will care!

Attached Files:

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Suhweet!

9. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Very nice. I really like the look of a white/rosewood jazz with a tort pg :cool:.

10. looks reallly good. white is pretty!

11. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
  12. donut

donut

Jan 27, 2004
    UK
    I don't think so. I've got one of those lying around and while the screw holes seem to be a correct fit for the Fender 3-screw bridges (although the saddles won't go far enough back to intonate ok for mine) I don't think it'll fit the 5-screw one. I tried lining it up with a BadAss II and it doesn't fit.

13. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    That angle is not that big of a deal. I'm going to let it ride for a while.

14. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I used these on mine (its a Squier). They are smaller than the original saddles and allowed me to adjust my string spacing to my OCD's delight.

Good Luck!

http://www.allparts.com/Bass-Saddles-p/bp-2125-010.htm

15. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If you look closely, you can see the saddles have multiple slots. These were scavenged from a Fender American Deluxe bridge.

16. Tasteful.