Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

made in mexico

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jerryoram, Feb 26, 2001.

1. jerryoram

jerryoram

Feb 7, 2001
    tried a mim fender deluxe 5 sring jazz bass felt great sounded great is 650 the going price?

2. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I believe they are going for 559.99 at musiciansfriend.com, might want to search bassnw.com as well as other online shops...I am not affiliated with anyone. My friend has that bass, he digs it like dig-dug. He wants them to come out with a six string version.

-halfnote

3. How was the B-string? I'm thinking of getting that same bass from a guy off the internet, so I'm looking for all the information I can get.

4. I have recently bought the Delux Five, and I think that if I had the thing set up better it would play better. I like to dig into the bass pretty hard when plucking, and I find that it rattles quite a bit more than my MIA P-bass. I do like it because I like to slap, and I can get pretty good tones out of it. I paid $539.99 for it at Mars Music, but I also got strap locks and a strap. The only thing I found bad about the deal is that I either got the wrong gig bag, or they are all the same for 4 and 5 string basses, and mine is a pretty tight fit. I have to push it in and then I can barely zip it up. I think I am just going to have to get a SKB case for it!! Maybe after I get my SVT-3 Pro!!

5. Before you buy a 5 string Jazz (either MIA or MIM), check to see if you like the B string, which tends to be floppy on this model. It may suit you, it did'nt suit me, and I'm not even a hard player.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have tried quite a few of these in my local shop and am tempted as they are cheap, (sort of like a "spare" bass)but they do seem to be variable in quality. The B doesn't sound like a Jazz bass, but is usable on some I've tried and not on others. I think we are talking about a highly mass-produced bass here and there are going to be good and bad ones - the only way to tell is to try before you buy.

It's also quite difficult to tell because of poor setup on most of the basses I've tried - I presume this must be because of the huge difference in climate from where they are made, to the South East of England, which is cold and damp at the moment!

7. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    I have one of the MIM Active Jazz Deluxe 5's which I enjoy very much; however, I recommend ditching the Fender strings for D'Addarios, GHS Boomers, or some other set. The way the Fender B is made causes the thick part of the string to wind around the B tuner post resulting in kind of a cockeyed positioning of the string from the nut to the tuner. Most other strings I've tried are tapered just above the nut and wind in more of a linear fashion. Also, make sure your amp and speakers have enough juice to handle the B otherwise it'll sound a bit boxy. Good luck.

8. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a 99 Arctic White one for sale if anyone's interested. Shoot me an email.

Paul

9. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    I luv my VW Golf...this car is better than anything I ever owned from the states.

jc

10. Before searching mail order for a lower price, keep in mind that many folks here have mentioned that MIM's vary greatly from bass to bass. If you found one that sounds great and you really like it, it may be worth considering paying a few extra bucks to guarantee you're getting a good instrument.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I just bought a MIM Standard Jazz over the weekend. I noticed that they're not as inconsistent as they used to be, but still inconsistent, nonetheless.

I paid $280 for a 4-stringer, and am happy with the purchase price. I had to do a bit of work with it when I got home: lowering the bridge quite a bit and adjusting the truss rod. But, now, it's a comfortable bass. Still sounds muddy and has no punch, however:(