"Made in USA" ... Let's argue.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, May 6, 2003.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK. Mexican Fenders are made in America. North America, to be exact. Also, Mexican Fenders are made in the United States ... Estados Unidos Mexicanos, the United States of Mexico.

Bottom line, beware. If it doesn't say "Made in the United States of America," it was probably made in Mexico.
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Okay...so, argue!

I'll follow suit.

I don't understand...what's your argument???:confused:
  3. CHeers, Munji!

I'm having a beer too!:D
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    May your children be cursed with the ugliness of 1000 Shania Twain husbands.

brad cook
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I'll bite...

How about the California series Fenders?

Parts made in Calfornia USA, shipped off to Baja California where the instrument was assembled and then shipped back to CA USA for set up.

Headstock stated made in America
  6. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I see your point -- they could be saying that it's American, and to them it is, but it's not American as we presume, so it could be false advertising? Do we have a case here!?! :D

I think I get your point, but I dunno if there's really an argument Munji!

7. Whoa, you lost me there munji. Do you mind repeating that a little more slowly for me?
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    When you buy a Fender just make sure it says "Made in Japan"
  9. are you sure? surely there must be lots of Korean/Chinese/Vietnamese immigrants looking for a larger wage for the same work...
  10. hmmm, I heard about Japan's import restrictions too- lots of US and UK companies aren't too happy about that.....which adds to the advantages of having the Fender Japan facility, of course.
  11. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    If I may say so, I think that this is a bit of an oversimplification. From what I've heard, the manufacturing process in Japan is different than in the US. There is also the question of what materials are being used. As for Hispanics versus Japanese I think that, if properly trained, a member of either group (or any other) could be a very good instrument builder. The high quality seen in Japanese automobiles derives from the processes developed by Japanese auto companies than from any special skills of their workers. But those processes have been exported all over the world. One of Toyota's best plants is here in southern Ontario.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "American" Fenders are all made in Corona, California. Corona is predominantly Hispanic, and I assume you are correct.

Otherwise, let's just forget the whole thing. You people don't want to argue. You, like girls, just want to have fun. Which reminds me, my band just added "All I Wanna Do" by Sheryl Crow.
  13. "There are no hispanics in Corona, California. In fact, I can assure you that there are no hispanics working in the Fender factory there. This is just another ploy by the imperialists so that they can have a scapegoat to blame every time a defective Fender bass is discovered."

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Politics, politics! ;)
  15. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    What do American Fenders and Mexican Fenders have in common????

Mexican Fenders are made in Mexico by Mexicans and American Fenders are made in America by Mexicans. So they are all made by Mexicans.
  16. American Fenders are made under California laws with Californian safety regulations. Mexican Fenders are made under Mexican laws with Mexican safety regulations. There is a difference. I'm sure Fender's Ensenada plant is a much nicer place to work than most maquiladora factories, but there certainly are differenes.

NAFTA has sliding compliance deadlines for a lot of environmental laws, or none at all; this is why there have been proposals by PG&E to build coal-burning power plants in Mexicali, Baja California del Norte--to escape California emissions laws.
  17. Riddle me this: Mr.Shultz, an American of German descent buys a made in America Fender, but, he buys it in Canada. :rolleyes:

Sound confusung? Read on.

Upon tracing his family tree, Mr.Shultz discovers his mother's side of the family is from the Czech border.

Now we have a problem.

Mike :p

Buy Ibanez. You won't have this problem, and you'll get 24 frets too. :D
  18. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thats not an argument, that's just contradicton! :D
  19. Bah, I play Godin basses made in Canada by Canadians and assembled in the USA by Canadians! :eek: