1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Made in Vietnam Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adivin, Oct 20, 2009.

1. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Do you think the bad rap that the Vietnam made Ampeg gear gets is justifed? I would like to hear of first hand experiences good or bad. Has this rep actually prevented you from buying the made in Vietnam stuff? I'm gasing for a VR but I keep hearing comments about the quality of the Vietnam stuff. Should this be a real concern or negative hype?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    this subject has been discussed quite frequently before. that being said, my SVT-VR "Nampeg" has been a great sounding SVT, hasn't had any problems, and i use it more than my vintage '69 SVT. IMO, they are great amps.

Mikaelbass likes this.
  3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    The rep hasn't prevented me from buying, it's the fact that they moved in the first place that has.
    Call me petty, call me what you will.....

4. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    I think they are fine, I talked to the owner of a audio shop, he said they don't see any more or less than the US versions

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :D
    He may see a lot more in 5 years?

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    using my experience as a guitar/amp tech for the last 35 years as a barometer, IMO, i don't think so.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    :ninja:

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I don't regret what I paid for mine one bit, but moving production allowed them to sell the same amp 10 years later for a street price of $279 instead of the $340 I paid for mine a decade ago.

9. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    A while ago I started a thread on this issue - something along the lines of "I'm proud of my Vietnam SVT VR". It was around the time everyone was bashing Ampeg. Have a look at that thread and it will answer all your questions ( and make you feel better about buying one). Anyway, my Vietnam VR remains in constant heavy use and has been 100%reliable, as have those of others I contacted. I love it and would not change it. It is a later Vietnam model, after they had time to settle any early quality control problems. I believe they are now being produced in Korea,anyway(same manufacturing source but different factory) - again there are threads on this. I would strongly recommmend the VR over the CL, simply because the national repair agents I rang had 3 CLs in but had not seen a vR with any problems. Hope this helps, check the past threads, Tim.

10. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    Mine "svt cl" has been as good as my previous american built ones. Sounds great and is well built. Funny thing though... i opened it up to try some different tubes and all the cuircit boards and componets say slm music on them. I have a feeling they were just assembled in nam from american parts anyways. I wouldnt be afraid of them and wouldnt believe the negative hype about them either. I will be keeping this one.

11. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks Tim1, I will look for that thread. I'm glad to hear positive things.

12. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    The actual build quality probably isn't that different from past U.S. versions.

However, to purchase one new is to support LOUD's business model--- which is to buy up quality USA music companies (such as Mackie, and many more -- Ampeg included), then dismiss the US employees and move the manufacturing to Asia. All while still charging USA (or higher) prices.

To those of us old enough to remember a different, better USA of opportunity, things like that matter.

Up the dose likes this.
  13. Not really different than some US companies making product here but using illegals as workers and charging the same price. :p

I hear ya though - was looking at a Mackie Mixer - not so much now - maybe Yamaha < they're American right? :D

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't forget lie to the US employees and tell them they have no intentions of moving. Fortunately, the classless idiot that used to run LOUD has been replaced by someone who actually seems to care about other things besides getting as big a year end bonus as he can possibly get. There's a special place in hell reserved for the old guy for being such an uncaring, greedy, and clueless nimrod.

Also, the current LOUD stuff is made in China and S. Korea. The Vietnam factory is no longer being used. I have seen prices go down on some of their stuff this year, which means that I'm now OK with the move ;) The way I see it, I'd rather have Chinese Ampeg than no Ampeg at all.

15. Yes. I found this too. Jerrold said that they had a stack of parts left over.

16. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    I am not an Ampeg user but I like the stuff they've made over the years. I shy away from stuff when they move production overseas. It might be irrational but I like my gear to be made in the U.S. I have a hard time believing that Ampeg is better now than it was before all of these buyouts and changes.

17. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Before you guys take this too close to the edge, you may
    want to reread sticky number 4 on the Amps forum. I just
    hate giving out unnecessary infractions. Really, I do.

18. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

Dec 28, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'm ok with made in China Ampeg, but that "made in USA' label is worth at least a couple of hundred dollars to me.

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    +1

I have already deleted one post and I will not issue another warning on this matter. Infractions from here on out.

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Love my "Nampeg" SVT6. Hasn't let me down yet. Took it to my favorite tech and he said everything looked fine.