Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Made my 4-string fretted sound Bowed!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Jan 16, 2006.

1. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
  2. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    BUMP!!

3. pretty nice bow sound...it sounds like a volume swell of some sort, with reverb and maybe a pitchshifter?

pretty cool...you should check out the ebow...

4. Not to be obnoxious, but it just sounds like overly reverberated volume swells. Have you heard what bowed bass sounds like ?

It's a cool sound though. Just not really mistakeable for bow...

5. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Good ears, here's what I used on it.
    Reverb
    Delay
    Pitch Shift(1 Octave down)
    Volume Swell(controlled via expression pedal)

I used a Digitech BP80 [It's a multi-FX pedal]

6. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Yes I have heard what a bowed douoble bass sounds like-I know it doesn't sound "exactly" like it but it's the only analogy I could think of when I heard it. Nonetheless it has an interesting tonal quality.

Ever heard a song called "Prayers For The Dying" by Chamber of Sorrows, it's mostly double bass. They are a death metal band (I don't liek teh rest of their music, just this one song)

7. Never heard of them... I'm mostly a jazzer though, and I must confess being quite disconnected from the reality of other music, at least the last 7 years of it... except a few exceptions, and classical music. I'll check it out.

As for your sound, I think :

Too much reverb and delay, pitch shift doesn't sound natural enough, and you only need a short volume sweep, as the sound of the bow really starts out very bluntly, though with less attack then a plucked string - so you really just want to kill the attack.

8. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    BUMP

9. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    http://media.putfile.com/Bow-Simulation-Take-II-Mr-Crowley44

I tweaked with the bow sound and got it to sound more double-bass like. The volume swells are now automatic, but I have to be careful to completley mute the note(s) I play before striking another-I have not perfected this yet, but I am getting better.

I sure hope you can identify the song :smug:

10. The first note in that recording (the first one) sounds like the beginning of Weather Report's "Port of Entry". Awesome.

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Too Clickly. The notes don't have enough resonance to them,
    It is pretty cool what's possible with effects now.

-Mark

12. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I'm still tweaking with it and this is the main issue I am trying to remedy, which is comming along nicley. Messed with the reverb and delay settings and... it's gotten smoother, pretty soon I'll post another update.

13. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    It does sound like it is being bowed, but it sounds like a synth's version of a bowed bass. i.e. every note's attack and decay is exactly the same(not that it is your fault, its just the way the electric bass is when you don't have an actual bow or ebow).

Sounds pretty cool though, i also thought your first version also had a bit of an organ sound to it in the lower notes.

14. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    Sounds more like a horn of some sort... tuba perhaps? :]