1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Made the jump to heavy gauge, questions on increased tension on neck...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by scuzzy, Jan 6, 2017.

1. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    As the title says. I have been curious to try heavy gauge on my DP custom 4 string. I ordered the DR sunbeams nickel coated in heavy gauge from bso. I installed last night, doing a 1/4 turn tightening on the truss rod, keeping the relief the same as it was with the medium Dunlop nickel brights. The action, playability, and tone have improved markedly. Really, couldn't be happier, exceeded my already high expectations. Punchy, bassy, great sustain, great feel on the fretting and plucking hand, sound great with a pick, very even across each string.

The strings are 50-110, 4 string set. My question is about the increased tension. The bass is dual carbon fiber reinforced, 3 piece maple laminate, and DP necks are not tiny. They have some heft. Should there be any concern with the increased tension long term? Am I correct that most flats have a higher tension than heavy rounds? I am in love with these strings, and can't see going back to med's on this bass.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  2. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Given the specs, I think your bass could handle a set of Jamersons with no worries.
    Nickel rounds are generally the lowest tension bass strings, SS a bit more, tapes, and flats more still.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I wouldn't worry about it. The carbon fiber reinforcement, and hefty, laminated neck should hold up without a problem. If and when the tension ever does become a problem, it will become readily apparent in the changed action and feel of the instrument - it's not as if the neck will suddenly flex like a fishing rod - giving you plenty of opportunity to take appropriate counter-measures at that time.

MM

4. Enjoy! No need to worry. As long as the truss rod can be adjusted to compensate for the increased tension, it's fine. You can't get much more sturdy than a beefy 3 piece maple neck that has 2 carbon fibre bars in it.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Flats need a similar number of pounds of tension to get to pitch that the same thickness rounds do. Generally +- 10% due to different materials.
    Flats are less flexible than rounds, so they feel stiffer. But that's how hard it is to bend them, not how much the tuner has to pull.

quickfix likes this.