Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Made trip to LAG this weekend-reactions on Accugroove, Epifani, and others...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, Mar 24, 2002.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I finally got a chance to make a visit to Dan at the Luthiers Access Group today, and thought that some of you might be interested in what I tried out (and what I thought of it). Although Dan has a stack of great custom, hand-crafted basses, my main purpose was to shop for a new rig. I tried an Epifani 1X12 and 2X10 while using a Glockenklang Soul head, and also tried out one of the new Accugroove cabs. While it would have been fun to demo an El Whappo, the only Accugroove Dan had so far was a 1X12 w/ 6" and 2 tweeters...just as well because I'm trying to move away from my Redhead to something that is more portable and easier for one person to carry.
    Overall, I was very impressed by the Accugroove. It was very capable as a "stand-alone" cab, although just one would be more appropriate for acoustic gigs than larger venues and more aggressive music. The Accugroove was a great match for the Glock, as my '77 sounded EXACTLY like it should, with no coloration or exagerated "falsely boosted frequencies". The cab was very clean and articulate and accurately reproduced the sound of my bass, but sounded very different from the other "hi-fi" cabs that are very popular now...Epifani, SWR, Eden, Bergantino, EA, ACME, etc. While I was impressed by the fact that the cab doesn't sound "scouped", and truely does sound even and balanced across the sconic spectrum, I felt that the smoothness of the tweeters and overall top-end really destinguished this cab from most other modern cabs. It handled power well and didn't break up under pressure, but sounded very clear and under control. I was very surprised by the fact that the top end did NOT have that same "hiss" or "zing" that so many modern cabs have.
    I am guessing that the tweeters response characteristics will mean that more ole' school and finger-style players will be much more receptive to this cab than they would otherwise be to a cab that is clearly voiced for slappers and poppers. It would be interesting to hear several of these cabs together, as I think that the capability to fill a room would be much improved. Needless to say, I was impressed. While these cabs might not be for everyone, Accugroove has definately differentiated its product from all other cab manufacturers, and many players may find a cab that meets their needs that has not existed before. Good Job Accugroove.

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I had the opportunity to try out a bunch of AccuGroove cabs a couple of weeks ago at their headquarters. I brought along my Acme Low B-2s for comparison. I was really impressed - I thought they sounded open and natural compared to the Acmes.

This weekend I took a Whappo Jr. (2x12) to a gathering of bass players, along with my Acmes, and several people played through both for hours on end. The other players came away impressed with the AccuGroove.

Side by side, driven by the same amp, the Acmes do the deep bass thing a little better than the Whappo Jr. Not that the Jr. is weak in this department, not hardly - just not quite as strong. But the Acmes don't sound as fat or clear as the Whappo Jr., and the Acmes sound a bit strained in the mids and highs by comparison.

But I really thought the combination that rocked most was both the Whappo Jr. and the Acmes at the same time! With an 1800 watt power amp driving them, the combination delivered earth-shaking bass, nice fat tone, and all the definition and clarity you could want from a bass amp.

Mark Wright of AccuGroove has been most gracious in letting me try out this gear. I think I know why - it's a time-tested sales technique used by dope dealers the world over. "The first taste is free..." :D

3. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Does AccuGroove have a website?

4. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    please please please tell me that while you were there you played through the Daedalus cabinet....

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
  6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I assume that the comment from bassmanjones was directed at me, and I'm afriad that I didn't. I've played virtually every bass and cab that Dan has in stock...except for that cab! However, I was impressed with the Epifani 2X10 as well. Didn't care for the 1X12 that much, and I've come to the realization that I don't really like bullet tweeters for bass cabs. The Epifani 2X10 was great (and very familiar to my Redhead combo), and I really enjoyed the tightness and punchiness of the cab in addition to the fact tha is had more bottom than my Redhead-and it wasn't artificial sounding at all. However, the top end and mid-range just wasn't as good as the Accugroove. I'm a figerstyle player and appreciate detail and presence in the mids, as well as sweetness in the highs. Too many modern cabs have the top-end "zing" that just sounds forced and arificial to me. Probably GREAT for slappers, but just not my style.
    The last time I made a trip to the southside to see Dan, I was sold on a Glock rig. I LOVED the BassArt preamp and the 2X10 cab. I had decided on the Bass Art pre, Stewart 2.1 matched with a Glock 2X10 and 1X15. If I'm not mistaken, Accugroove and Glockenklang take a similar approach to highs and the types of tweeters they use, and I would be interested to try these two brands side-by-side. I know that Accugroove is trying to position themselves as the American "Glock" for "Americains", but a head-to-head would be fascinating. Of course, I've yet to hear a Wayne Jones.........:D

7. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    JPJ, thanks anyway. :( Next time you go back, you gotta try out that Daedalus and tell me the deal on it. :)