Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Made up my mind... I'm getting a Kustom!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by haujobb, Aug 24, 2005.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I've finally decided to buy a Kustom Groovebass 1200. What does everyone think of the 4x10 cabs? I tried it along with the head and was quite impressed.

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    In the end, that's all that really matters isn't it :smug: ?

- Ugly (and damned proud of it).

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Good choice on the head. As for cabs, if you play 4 string and standard tuning, a 4x10 is nice. If you play a 5 string or drop tuning, I'd go with a 2x12 or a 1x12 + 2x10 setup. Most 4x10's don't do a drop D or lower real well...

4. this is so true.

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I thought the 4x10 was quite punchy with a 5 string bass...

6. Quadzilla

Punchy, yes. Hit a 40 hz note, in most cases, no....

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Low E is ~40hz, low B is ~31hz. Finding a cab that can hit an E fundamental is reasonably difficult. Finding one that can hit low B fundamental within +-3db is damn near impossible.

Accugroove excepted.

That said, what YOU hear matters a million times more than any number. :)

8. What I think people are getting at is that the Kustom 4x10 gets farty at loud volumes with dropped D tuning and low B on a 5 string. I've had this experience when trying out a Kustom GB1200 and Kustom 4x10 with a Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman in drop D.

9. Quadzilla

Like Dead said above, word is the Kustom 4x10 farts on drop D and lower. I hear the 2x15 Kustom cab rocks, but it's a frickin monster to move. I'd look to an Avatar 2x12 or better...

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    A decent 4-10 cab should NOT fart on a low B string unless volumes are insane. I'd tend to stay away from any brand that did this regularly.

11. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    very true

12. Eden's 210XSTs bottom half-power frequency (-3dB point) is 30Hz. Hence why I have two. :D

I must confess I grow tired of cab manufactures quoting -10dB points in an attempt to appear more attractive. It falls into the same category as quoting peak watts as rms. :(

13. ricosuave2093

ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    Oregon
    I am running my Groove Bass into the Avatar B410PRo 4ohm and have Dropped tuned to D and it sound and handles it nicely IMO. But I can't wait to add the 4ohm 212 to it for more air........Or save up for the Schroeder 310212 what a monster! Anyway I love my Kustom and my Avatar and for under $1000 for both I gotta say it can't be beat.

14. Quadzilla

Well I said that most 4x10's don't do low tuning or 5 strings well but I admit that some do....

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

My Ampeg SVT410HLF handles mine just fine. And has been for a few years now, I might add. :)

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd have to give a +1 on the Avatar 212. If you need more punch than that, just lob a Avatar 210 on top.

17. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Hmmmmmmmm, I tried the two again today. I play a 5 string tuned to A but I still haven't experienced any farting yet, I've turned it up to loud volumes, possibly loud enough to jam with but haven't dimed the amp yet. It might also be because my tone is very low shy, similar to Ryan Martinee.

18. interule

interule

Jul 1, 2005
    I just ordered a Kustom 1200 :)

I play a five string and play the low b a lot. I have yet to recieve the AMP but have the Avatar 2x10 and 1x15 neo waiting here. :bassist:

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about 4 x 10"s not reproducing the low B very well. I have played my 5-string (when you hold a gun to my head, yes I will play a 5-string) in a number of different cabs ranging from 4 x 10"s of all kinds to SVT's, and I have never had a problem with hearing the low B. This business of freq. response in cabs is way overstated. I agree with the person who said it was like quoting peak wattage. Who cares? Does it sound good? Then who cares what the specs are? You show me a person who can't hear the low B in any 4 x 10" and I will show you a deaf person.

20. I've tried a GrooveBass on two separate occasions. The first time was through a GrooveBass 4x10 and I was not impressed. Too much distortion for me. As a result, I about wrote off the head as something I'd want to buy.

Yesterday, in continuance of my search for a rig, I went to another store that also had a GrooveBass head and, in addition, several different makes of 4x10 cabs.

On a whim, I ran the GrooveBass head through an SWR 4x10, and was very impressed. Very clean, pure sound came forth.

Right now, my thinking is that Kustom has a great head in the GrooveBass, but man, they've got to do something about those cabinets!