1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Madeira sg bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baddarryl, Mar 16, 2013.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Found one at my girlfriends house that could use some tlc. All I know about these is they were Guild's budget line, made in Japan, and can be decent player. Not worth much I gather. Anyone have one or more info on these? I thinking of resurrecting it just for fun.

2. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    The Madeira MB-100 was a sorta-clone of a Gibson EB-0. As far as I know, it was actually designed by Guild, but built in Japan at an unknown factory, then distributed as a budget line in the USA.

They are not common. The neck is quite narrow in span from E to G. The one I had is actually 'medium scale' and I had to use light long-scale strings on it, with a lot of string wound on the posts.

The tuners are pretty good, the pickups are very good, the bridge is cheap and it tends to neck-dive. But the fingerboard was good rosewood, and it sounded really nice and fat. Even playing with a pick, my Ampeg 1x15 combo and a 1x15 Sunn extension gave this bass a fat rocking tone that fit in every rock style.

It's not worth much, but if the frets are still good and the neck is still straight, it probably only needs a good cleaning, or at most a new switch or jack soldered in. It's a great lightweight starter bass for anyone who doesn't have real big hands.

3. lasalle69

lasalle69 "Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride"-H.S.T.

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    I do have one. Picked it up on ebay for @300. It is the guild budget line and a copy of their JS-2, one of which I also own. It sounds great! Even has the rosewood.bridge saddles like its American cousin. Overall a great sounding bass. It does take med. Strings though. I put DR-hi beams on her.
    Cheers