1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Madeline Island, La Pointe, WI. Sat, Mar 1

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by hbarcat, Feb 28, 2008.

1. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I know this is off the beaten path, but I just found out that the CharterKats will be performing at the Bell Street Tavern on Madeline Island, LaPointe, Wisconsin on Saturday March 1st. The show is dedicated to Don Pavel, a member of the Great Lakes Boys, acoustic guitar and bass trio, who passed away suddenly a few weeks ago.

Since I've been friends with the members of the band for some time from when I used to live on the Island, I thought I would make the 8 hour trip from Chicago this weekend to see the show. The CharterKats is a vintage rock and roll band made up of the Vee family (of Bobby Vee fame) and Ric Gillman of the Great Lakes Boys and his son Ben as well as other talented local musicians. I've been to their shows in the past and it's a great time. I know it's short notice and it's out of the way, but if any TBers want to go I think it would be a good GTG opportunity. There will also be several events on the Island on Saturday for those who enjoy the Winter outdoors such as:

March 1: 16th Annual Run on Water. Run, walk, ski or snowshoe from Bayfield to Madeline Island and back. Registration, 10am at Bayfield Inn. Start time, 11am.

March 1: Manypenny Madness Winter Carnival, downtown Bayfield. Sledding, broomball, games & more, 1 to 3:30pm. Polar Bear Plunge at the Broad Street Beach, 3:30pm.

March 1: CharterKats "Up a Creek without a Pavel" at the Bell Street Tavern. Fun & Music begins at 7pm.

The iceroad across the 3 miles of Lake Superior to the Island is open for cars and light trucks. Lodging is available (typically about $70/night)

http://madelineislandradio.com/events

http://www.madelineisland.com/index.shtml

Anyone interested? :bassist:

2. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The Vees:

veespr.

The Great Lakes Boys:

[​IMG]

3. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I'm really sad to learn that Don Passed away, he was a good friend and a great musician.....

4. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    After 9 hour trip with some snow (picked up one of the guitarists in Wausau on the way) arrived Friday night in the wee hours. They're starting to set up the stage now and the show should start about 6:30 tonight at the Bell Street.

Anyone who wants to make the journey and meet up, just get a hold of Ric Gilman from the band and ask him where Dan is. Expect the place to be packed solid.

---"hbarcat"

5. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    A fun time was had by all in attendance.

A special thank you to Jessica for showing me all of your very creative and well done tattoos. :hyper: