Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Madison amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, May 2, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    If you have ever tried a Madison bass amp, please let me know what you thought of them. A sound clip would be greatly appreciated since I am considering one, and my mom won't let me get amps (or basses) off the internet unless I have tried them yet. A sound clip would probably convince her. I don't think I will be able to find them around here.

Madison amps are very cheap and you can see them here

2. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I've only tried one once and was thoroughly unpleased. It was one of their 810 cabs, running with an SVT-3. The cab had no low what so ever, all mid and with no punch. I tried to eq something nice out of it but everything I tried didn't help. It kept farting out at G on the low E string :spit: I used my friends rig (the Madison and SVT-3) because he was raving about how much he liked it for how cheap he got it. The second set I used my rig that I had at the time, MM HD212 with another single 12 cab, and it was far better then his 810. His cab got loud but wasn't very efficient, and was way harsh especially the tweeter. Needless to say my rig (3 12's) at the time had more punch, lows and got louder while not breaking up then his. I'm sure there are people out there who've had good experiences with Madison Cabs, but due to mine, you won't see me buying anything from them. Hopefully someone will chime in with a good review so you can see some of the pros of the cabs, but to me I didn't see any.

Peace
    -Ben

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Madison/Legion/X-Audio = Car stereo quality boxes.

Yes, I have personally played on a few of them.

-Mike

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  5. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Thanks.
    Right now I have a 100 watt SWR LA15, which is really nice and loud, but it has distortion at high volume. Which is not so good for playing in a band. It doesn't seem like a Madison amp will be any better.

6. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    As with many of the similarly low priced cabs out there, rather than getting a small quality cab, you get a low quality large cab. It's all about living within your means... you could get a great combo, or you could get a lousy stack/rack setup. Madison/LegionSound/etc. may have one or two decent products, but I doubt it... $289 for an 8x10? $429 for a full-range 2x10, 2x8, tweeter cab? There's probably a reason why the prices are too good to be true. I myself may get one or a few of their giant cheap cabs in the future for my room... it'd look quite cool

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Ya get what ya pay for kid.

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've got 2 cabs from the 'Axis of medieval", Madison/X-audio/Legion sound, An X-Audio 2x10 and a LS 2x10. The LS sounds like the $109 cab it is, but doesn't sound bad, used on a guitar amp. The X-Audio I'm using with a Sunn Coliseum 300 head, I use them for practice. Doesn't sound bad, doesn't rattle and has a bit of thump. Still, I can't recommend them .... better stuff is available used. I got the Sunn and a Hartke 4.5 XL at a local pawn shop for $200. Another pawn shop has a Peavey TNT(?) head and 2 Randall 2x10 for less than $400. Look local first and if no luck there, try Ebay.

9. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    If you are going to go with budget cabs, Go Avatar, Dave is a great guy to deal with and has some pretty quality stuff. Espeacially for the price!

Peace
    -Ben