Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Madison and Legion Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassRocker8713, Feb 23, 2005.

1. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    OK, I've tried searching for this a couple times, but I couldn't find anything. I'm looking for a cheap, decent bass cab. The guy from Steelsound.com said that he would trade me a 410 Legion cab for my Peavey Basic 112. I've heard/seen mixed reviews on these cabs and I'd really like to know what everyone thinks. Also, I might be able to get a Madison cab for my Peavey instead, but I'm not sure because Ken hasn't emailed me back yet. So if you could tell me what you think about both of these brands, that'd be great. Thanks a lot. :help:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have played through a few Madison cabs. My experience was that they are nothing more than really nice car stereo sub boxes. Don't waste your time, or money.

If Madison is the price neighborhood you are shopping in, then look for something new or used from Avatar.

-Mike

3. You have a guy willing to trade you a 4x10 cab for a Peavey Basic 112? Be afraid, be very afraid.

Go with Avatar. They have the best budget cabs going.

4. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    I have Legion Sound 1-15 and 2-10 cabinets, loaded with Eminence speakers, that I've been using now for about 8 months, gigging weekly in venues up to about 150 people. I use them with no PA support, and drive them with 300 watts.

I've been pretty satisfied with them--my favorite thing about them is that they are LIGHT! Of course, that would suggest that they wouldn't be as durable as some other tanks that I have owned, or still do own, but my back thanks me weekly. They have held up well at my level of use (whats that, about 40 gigs or so, lugging them up stairs, through the rain, etc), with no rattles or rasping. I've found that the tuning of the cabinets is pretty boomy, even the 2-10, and I tend to EQ them more at the high end than other cabinets I've used, but after I tinkered with the settings they sounded fine.

5. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Update two months later....the handle just pulled out of the 2-10 cabinet; basically, the particle board that the cab was made from had deteriorated, this after 10 months. Various experiments with wood putty and wood glue to repair were unsuccessful. There is supposedly a 1-year warranty on these cabinets, but in contact with the seller (Steelsound) I was told that this warranty only covered the drivers and not the cabinet itself. Umm, okay. Steelsound DOES make allegedly better quality cabinets from plywood, so those might be just fine. However, I would recommend against the Legion Sound cabinets if you gig weekly, as I do. They would probably work just fine if they stayed in a bedroom or rehearsal space, but the main advantage for me was how light they were, and that lack of weight unfortunately meant lack of durability. I plan to replace them promptly with Avatar NEO cabinets in the same configuration; those are a little heavier but people seem to swear by them.

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Good or bad, they are going to pork you on the shipping.