Madison Cab's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Piezoman, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I was looking on steelsound's website and saw they have a 4x10 rated at 104db sensitivity for $450.

Does anyone have any experience with these. How do they stack up to avatars in terms of volume and tone? The price seems good for such a loud cabinet.
  2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Without telling you at what frequency that 104dB sensitivity was measured it's a worthless spec. Assuming it was measured at all and isn't just a computer simulated figure. Nothing against Steelsound in particular, it's a game that most of them play.
  3. 3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Im going to chime in on this one. First off let me tell you I was also skeptical about using 10's and madison 10's at that. After reading countless threads about 10s vs 12vs 15 vs combos. I finally went with tens. I also disputed on weather to get the knights or the warriors. I chose the knights. I loaded them into two 2x10 custom built cabinets(I will post pics as soon as I get home from college) First thing that you will notice when you get these speakers is how beefy they look. My first reaction was if these sound as good as they look Im in bussiness. Just for general info I play black gospel in anywhere from small lunch box churches to large venues to outdoor events. I have Alvarez 6 string a kustom preamp running into a gemini poweramp. I have owned 1x10, 1x12, 1x15 2x15 and played on everything under the sun. NOW the point of all this rambling These speakers are GREAT. The main thing i was worried about was if my lows were going to suffer. The lows i get from these speakers are amazing. They kick the Heck out of anything I have ever owned or played on including the 2x15. For the first time i have peaked out my amp instead of clipping my speakers. Now to comment on the spl. I dont know if the spl on the website is correct but i will tell you that these things are extremly sensitive I actually never turn my 400 watt power amp above 5. One thing i will say if you are looking for ear splitting highs get something else. Not to say they dont have decent highs (which is all i needed) they are not as great as some i have heard swr for example. Hope this helped someone. OH YEAH these things are HEAVY but im young so no biggie. :cool: So old guys look into a dolly
  4. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    As always, there are mixed reviews.

Does anyone second think I should take a chance on this cab or go for the sure bet with an avatar 4x10?
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well I can offer up my $.02... Madison speakers are great and all and many people have been satisfied with the results they got with custom cabs, but don't toutch the Legion or Audio X or w.e stuff, as its more like a audio subwoofer than a bass cab. I would recommend against the Madison cabs as well, but the new Steelsound made cabs have gotten rave reviews. But then again, you can't go wrong with Avatar.
  6. Sorry,

But I have to disagree on recommending against the Madison cabs.

Please realize that Steelsound/ are branches of the same company in Colorado. If you do a large order from Steelsound, your invoice will be from Madison Speakers, just so you know.

Madison cabs are the boutique line cabs for this company - all tolex covered, well-tuned boxes with solid drivers (see post above). They are high-end gear, which is why they are priced several levels above Steelsound's gear (which, in my opinion, is still pretty good - fantastic for the price). I would not hesitate to buy Madison - I'm just a bit upset that they discontinued the MAB-412 - a 4x12, 2000watt RMS cab that I wanted to make my "big, outside venue with no PA" cabinet.

Take a look at the artists who use Madison gear (to include some nice tube/hybrid amplifier gear, etc.) as well as who they have endorsed. This is NOT low-end gear, and it probably should be discussed together with some of the best names in bass cabinets.

Just my .02 worth,
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Madison vs. Avatar

I have 2 Madison 15" woofers and an Eminence Kappa Pro 15" that I purchased from Avatar. The Eminence, in my opinion, is boomy as hell and sounds fantastic. Beats the hell out of the Carvin and Ashdown Mag series 15" speakers that it ultimately replaced.

The two Madison speakers I own (I believe they are the Warriors, IIRC) are muddy by comparison. To my ear, their low-end capability is woefully lacking (again, by comparison), but maybe that's just me.

I reference the speakers instead of the cabs because that's all I have to compare Madison vs. Avatar with, though I would submit that it is a good starting point.
  8. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    And you expect a $35 woofer to make a good sub? Try one of the Executioner woofers, solid gear...
  9. If you drop them a line, they will tell you exactly how they measured the sensitivity (1w@1m@Xfreq). They'll also send you the frequency spectrum response graph as well. Then you'll have some useful data. They've always been straight up with me to I have no reason to doubt their numbers.

And I agree with haujobb - the executioners make great woofers. I have a set of MAS-18 subs from them....FANTASTIC subs with incredible low end authority and punch.

And FWIW...I also own a set of the MAF-15 floor monitors...just outstanding - actually better overall speakers than my PA mains (which are Eminence loaded). 2" diameter titanium tweeters with a very nicely done crossover and 15" executioner drivers (500 watt RMS/1000 watt peak). All nicely constructed from hardwood with a solid tolex covering and locking speakon and quarter inch inputs (2 apiece). I use one of these as my personal monitor when gigging with the R&R of the best pieces of gear I've bought for live shows...period.

So far - everything I've received from Madison has been a superior product.