Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

madison executioner vs omega pro 12 ??????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    hello all.

Just yesterday i picked up a fully built & carpeted woofer cab for a great price- FREE.

it has a mangled 12" woofer of unknown type (i didnt remove it to loook yet). The kid who tossed it said it was JL audio.

dimensions are 23" X 13" x 11 deep. no port. no mid. no tweet.
    It weighs upwards of 15,000 pounds, so i assume it is 3/4 MDF. It is very well built, and feels VERY solid. It has an attractive dark grey carpet job.

the internal volume, not factoring for the future port and drivers, is therefore approx 1.35 ft3.

i already have a 5 1/4 midrange sitting around the house that i will install. I have some random xover parts from an disassembled project (800 or 900 hz as i recall?? i have to check).

i have little rubber feet to scew on.

All i need is handles (easy to find) port (parts express?) and grills (someone gave me a great site). I hop eot find some of these in the Talkbass classifieds

SOOOO, you can already see where i am going. This is a free cab so far.

i scanned bruce's XL page, and see that the madison executioner 12 and the omega pro 12 are approx f3 of 70 and 60 respectively in a box this size.

the omega is over $100 on ebay. i have been unable to find the executioner so far. discontinued?

any thoughts as to the merits of one or the other of these 12's (i recall hearing the madison is not as robust) , or others that would work for bass guitar in a 1.35Ft3 box?

$ is of concern, since this project was not planned for. trying to get by with a workable practice cab / small gig cab on the cheep, but i dont want something nonfuncitonal. I will push it with a 150 or a 250 watt amp. (wt300 or AMP250)

thoughts? suggestions? anyone have useful parts sitting around they'd be interested in selling?

thanks in advance.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The distributors of Madison drivers appear to be less than stable. I wouldn't buy a driver that you may not have a warranty source for down the road. Eminence won't present a problem in that regard, and there are no quality questions there either, while Madison can't make that claim.

3. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    The Madisons are available through Music Supply Center. They are however, Goldwood's, which you can also buy through Parts Express. Same speaker, different label.

4. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    That's not encouraging. One of my members recently bought a pair of the Goldwood Monterey series 'pro' woofers to see if they were any good, They weren't. Absolute junk.

5. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I tried a couple of the Executioners , and they are very low on SPL. You's be better off to save a few bucks more and go with what Bill said, and buy Eminence speakers. They have good SPL ratings. Only the Executioners are Goldwoods, the Madison Warriors, however, in the ten inch variety, I have had excellent luck with. They are Chinese, but I haven't had any problems with them at all.

6. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i opened up the box by taking out the driver. Turns out all is not as expected. get this. there is MORE WOOD than i thought. the front baffle is 2 layers of MDF (yes its mdf). i am pretty sure each is 3/4, therefore the front baffle is 1.5 inches thick. damn, no wonder it weighs a ton even though its small!

the driver is the JL (yes, the kid was right. it is JL audio) 12W3-D6 driver. it has 2 voice coils (!?). there are 2 spots to connect the wires, and it was connected in parallel.

i looked uit up and saw its like 86 or 87 db sensitivity. low. the driver looks ok, execpt that the cone is ripped up. anyon einterested in it? cheap.

anyway, despite being built RAM TOUGH, and stuffed with about 4,000 pounds of stuffing, this cab is a little smaller than anticipated.

i am figuring in the neighborhood of internal 1.25 or so ft3, minus driver and ports and mid, and i bet its near 1.1 ft3

out goes the executioner (from your reviews, rightly so) but also MAYBE out goes the O pro 12... not enough volume to be useful i am assuming.

thoughts on a low cost/used/ebay/somethiing in your closet that would be useful for this cab? i hate to toss it, since its solid as all get out and ever so free ($$!). I also hate to toss lots of $ into something that i didnt plan or design, and that weighs so much.

i am thinking somehow retrofitting it to the s2010 eminence neo, but it isnt cheep and may be more trouble than its worth.

all thoughts appreciated.

thanks

7. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It's either a home or auto sound sub box, too small to work well for what you want to do with it and too heavy to haul to gigs.

8. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I am assuming it's a car sub, based on the type of music the kid is into and it's appearance.

it is a heavy, furry little bugger. puuurfect for a cat scratching post.

thanks for the input.