Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Madison Speakers - the "Tech" page

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geshel, Jul 26, 2004.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I was visiting the Madison Speakers website just now, and followed their link to the "Tech Page". It's hosted on another site, and they say it's a "collaboration".

http://quadrasub.netfirms.com/

Well, I really hope the guys at Madison know more than whoever it was that put together this page - which was somebody who doesn't understand much about how speakers work.

Actually, no -- the SPL does not increase. What happens is that the Vas parameter for the two speakers combined is half of what it was for one speaker, allowing the same alignment in a box half the size. And, they can be sealed or vented.

This is about as confusing an explanation, if not quite "wrong", of a bandbass box as you can get. A bandpass design is essentially normal speaker box (usually sealed), with an "acoustic crossover" -- another, vented box -- placed over the front of the woofers.

First, wrong. Second, a gross oversimplification.

Useless, and dumb.

I stopped reading here.

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    They guy is obviously an idiot. :scowl: Yea, you can put a speaker in any size box you want, true. Will it sound good in every box? I think not! What a moron. :rolleyes:

I guess that tells you that you don't want to buy from them, eh?

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    But check out their logo!

4. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Holy crap that has to some of the funniest stuff I have ever read on here. Thanks for a good laugh. I take it whoever wrote that was serious... BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :D :D

Thanks Geshel. I needed that today!

6. Funny stuff! :D

...and I could use a laugh. Exams start monday and I have a final report for my design project due tommorrow. Sleep? What's that?

:D

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I reckon it's a fad. But everyone's doing it now so I might give it a try one of these days, just to see what all the fuss is about.