Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

madison speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Casey C., Oct 15, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I been looking into restoring 2 old Peavey 410 cabs I have. I want to replace the speakers more than anything. I've found madison speakers on ebay for about $25 a piece and I was wondering if anyone knows about these speakers. good? bad? ok? They have to be better than the speakers that I have now and for that price? :D

2. Well...That all'n depends on which line...I wouldn't touch madison Archers, they're rated for lower power than the better, and the tighter, Madison Warriors...Which come standard in Madison bass cabinets...If they're warriors at that price, go for it..if not check out Speakerhole.com the madison 1090s are the warriors unless I'm mistaken....

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I built some cabinets with the 1050s and 1590s. These speakers rock! esp. considering the price..

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Patrick---talk to me about the overall sound of the 1590...I'm thinking about using one. Does it handle the low end/low B really well (as advertised by them). It's got a 90oz magnet and the specs look ok...one would think it's decent, but I want a TBers experience.

Thanks!

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I was either going to do a 4x10 and 2x15, or a 6x10 and 1x15 - decided on the 6x10/1x15. I purchased the extra drivers for both (they were cheap enough), built each box trying to optimize the air requirements for each option, different tuning depending on which I ultimately decided on, etc.. The 10s sound *extremely* nice. I'm still using a rather low power 200w Kustom head (old skool), and I'll have a new rig hopefully by this weekend to see how they handle higher power.

The 1590 is also very nice, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet outside of a practice enviroment. I'll update you as soon as I use it (tonight/tomorrow).

Jaquo(?) was dead on with his (short) review of Madison's 4x8.. their speakers sound awesome!

Also, I just wanted to stick out my $.02 ($17.50 Can.).. speakerbuilding is no-where near as hard as bgavin and Joris make it out to be. You *do* have to use T/S parameters as a guideline, but as long as you understand their usage, and you're halfway skilled in working wood, you'll produce a very nice sounding box. It does take a lot of time (i built both cabs at the same time, not end to end - the entire project ran A LOT longer than building && finishing my fretless 5 string). They often suggest only building a cab when you can't find what you're looking for commercially - I say, if you're interested in building one, then go ahead and do it, as long as you aren't in any immediate rush. It's also a lot cheaper.

(as soon as I can find my camera I'll post some pictures)

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I appreciate all the info...sounds like you've got a good handle on the "building". I'm comfortable with the construction part, just not so sure of the spec part---scared to go through all the careful build and end up with a cab that sounds hollow or worse. But it sounds like the Madison speaker quality is there---and at their prices that's good for the custom cab maker.
    Please let me know how that 15" sounds...I've been doing the Avatar 4x10 thing(which is a great find IMO) and just need some more bottom for my 5 string.

Thanks!
    JT

7. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

both are rear ported.. I forget the specs atm, but they sound killer. I'm really only using the 6x10. I don't need the 1x15, and I'm finding that I'm not really a fan of the 15 sound (nothing wrong with the speaker, just less articulate than I'd like). 10s all the way!

8. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Thanks for the pics...nice looking cabs...I suppose the cage behind the 15 is for the drummer just in case he starts throwing sticks (like ours does all the time...keep your head down!)

I like the sound of the 10" speakers too...just in that mode of wanting to push more air...

9. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    hey patrickj, when u built those, did u use any low pass filters, or do you just let the drivers do what they will without any filters

10. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Juicy looking cabs, man.

How did you get that tiger stripe thing happening?

11. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Has anyone tried their 4x8's? I'd really love to know how they sound.

12. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Jo-Ann's (the fabric store) :D - I decided to make them 'fancy' for the halloween party my band is headlining..

13. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Jacquo (on TB) likes them.. if you can wait a few months I think I'll be building an 8x8, so I'll give you a status report then ;)

14. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    also, I just had my 2nd night of 3 hour practice through these madison speakers. I play with 2 guitarists each using 4 4x12 cabinets (the one's not shown are marshalls). The single cabinet/QSC850bridged work beautifully.

[​IMG]

15. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Well they look really cool. Nicely done!

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i have to say something about that last pic...

why...

on earth...

does a guitar player need FOUR 4x12 cabs?!?!?!

I JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

17. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    it looks cool.. :p

18. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey, just wanted to let you know.. I just finished building a 2x15 using the 1590s, and I have to admit I think the 15s are my new favorite. Extremely punchy (!) and knocks you flat on your back @ 30hz..

Those Madison speakers aren't crap.. even if the price might make you think otherwise. [​IMG]

19. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I think you and I have been doing the same thing with our spare time. You had me convinced the Madison speakers were decent...so after I built the 1x15, I built a 2x10 to match up with it, and it sounds awesome too. Yeah, the price would lead you to believe otherwise, but they sound great. I agree that the 15s sound sweet, but love 10s. Now I can stack my new 2x10 on top of my Avatar 4x10 for a killer 6x10.

does your 2x15 match the 6x10 with the "tiger stripe"?

20. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Very, very nice!

Actually, it looks like you and I went the same route. Black carpet, natural/finished face. Out of curiosity, where did you find the metal grill? The circular speaker grills I've been using work nicely, but look like crap. ;)