Madonna's American Life single?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by parrott, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Anybody heard it? What do you think?

I downloaded it today after hearing at the cinema.... it's weird.... it's like three or so songs stitched together.

What do you think about it? I *really* don't know what to think about it.

:oops: :( :)
  2. I think it is terrible. I dont like anything about it.:spit:
  3. FWIW, I think I quite like it, in an electronic pop kinda way.

4. i liked that one where she had that video where she dueled with herself.
  5. Which one was that?

EDIT: I don't have MTV or anything even remotly like that.
  6. It was from the James Bond Soundtrack..."Die another Day" I think.

I like one, maybe two songs by Madonna. Aside from that she's an average performer. She's got a mediocre voice but she's a very talented dancer and knows how to market herself very well.

However, she's mostly media fodder, which is the only thing that makes her mildly entertaining.
  7. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    i thought the topic was madonna american single life, and i was like hey thats probably interesting. boy do i feel let down.
  8. Ah.... I didn't like that one..... (mind, the only exposure I have had to that one is watching that Bond film)
  9. *reads several times*

Erm..... almost..... :p
  10. why doesn't her career just DIE already?
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - dull song, dull video - I thought I'd watch as it might have been controversial in the current world political climate - it was just dull!!

As a PS - there are now about 20 "MTV-like" channels on my Digital Satellite system - but switching through them quickly - they are often playing the same videos - how can they survive!!?? :confused:
  12. AFAIK, she had a different video for the song that was deemed inappropriate, so it was replaced with that video that just shows her "singing".
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Worst lyricist ever.
  14. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, I remember before the video premiered they were hyping up how "controversial" it was. Maybe my liberal leanings are taking over me to much because I didn't see what made it so controversial. I thought it was going to have some kind of big anti-war message in it or something.
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    "That's the story of American liiiife"
  16. AFAIK, she made a much more contraversial (sp?) video, but scrapped it because the record company was afraid of the backlash.

Or something along those lines.
  17. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Madonna's a good example of the adage that singers are born, not made.

I hate her voice. And she still sounds like ass, despite all of the vocal training she went through for "Evita." At least she sounds like ass in key, though.
  18. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Did William Orbit do the music for this song?, I have heard it and it has his electronic edge.

I aswell think the song is weak. I did like the Die Another Day song.
  19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -although as the years have gone by she's become convinced that she's an important artist instead of a successfully marketed product, which makes her more annoying.
  20. It was Mirwais (sp? The French dude....) that did this one..... it's much edgier than William Orbit's style.