Maestro Brassmaster history?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dorfmeister, Aug 28, 2009.

1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister

Apr 3, 2008
    I looked around on here and on the web for a history of the Brassmaster.

I am just curious if anyone knows when it began being produced and when production ended, what well known circuit it is closest to, and the original inspiration for it.

Anybody know these things?:hyper:

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Paging Josh at Malekko, white courtesy telephone please, Josh at Malekko...

3. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    The white phone is for loading and unloading only...

4. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I believe it came out around 1972 and was not made for more than a few years. Circuitwise it's fairly unique, not a copy of an earlier design or using any earlier famous fuzz circuit. In simple terms the input in split into a buffered clean path and a fuzz path. The fuzz is a dual transistor booster with a full wave rectifer for the octave up and some more fuzz and a selectable twin-t filter for a few different tone options. The two paths are mixed back together at an output preamp stage. I think the inspiration was probably exactly what it was, to get brass-like tones from bass without losing the low end.

5. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    Bumping this; I acquired a Brassmaster Clone on loan, and I really don't know too much about them. The one I have has no labels for the controls, so I have to guess and fiddle. I played with it for 5 mins, found one awesome tone, then tweaked knobs but anything else was hard to dial in. Has three knobs, and two toggles. Is there any Brassmaster examples in popular music? Anyone have any good clips? How do they sound in a mix?

6. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    its an odd beast.

One knob controls the fuzz volume, one controls the sustain, and one controls the clean bass volume.

the switches are for a filter and for an added harmonic.

I hope that helps with you tweaking.

7. i was just thinking of an airplane joke lol

8. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Violent by The Faint reminds me of a Brassmaster around....here.

9. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    In terms of bass fuzz, there are two varieties: 1) Brassmaster types of fuzz, and 2) other lesser forms of filth.

10. I have some clips of two clones in my signature. The clones are the Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz and the Bogdan Pole Master.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021