MAG Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grey, Feb 18, 2005.

1. grey

May 13, 2004

I currently have a 350 watt (4 Ohm) head and am looking for a cab. (have only used combos before, so I'm a complete noob)

I essentially want to end up with something portable for practice and something loud enough for gigs (metal band, small gigs). I play both 4 and 5 string, both with active pickups.

At the moment I just need to get something quickly (which means I have minimal budget) having seen very little secondhand lately, I'm looking at the Ashdown MAG range.

I suppose my plan would be to get initially the 2x10 or 1x15 for practice and amp share for gigs and eventually complete the rig with the other...

here are the specs:
    Configuration 2 x 10" + tweeter
    Power Handling 200W continuous
    Impedance 8 Ohms
    Frequency Response 60Hz - 20kHz
    SPL 98dB 1W @ 1m
    H x W x D (mm) 468 x 604 x 420
    Weight (kg) 19

Configuration 1 x 15"
    Power Handling 250W continuous
    Impedance 8 Ohms
    Frequency Response 37Hz - 2kHz
    SPL 98dB 1W @ 1m
    H x W x D (mm) 468 x 604 x 420
    Weight (kg) 20

I just want to know if you guys think this is a sensible option and if I use one of these cabs on their own I'm likely to blow anything! Also, at 8 ohms, am I correct in thinking I don't want to have my amp volume all the way up at any point? What would be a good safety barrier point?

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I have the MAG-210T, and it's an excellent cab.
    It even handles my B-string with no fuss.

Hope this helps,
  3. I use a Mag 2x10T Combo and a Mag 1x15 DeepCab. Combo for rehearsals and small/jazz gigs and add the 1x15 when I want to move a bit more air. :)

Works a treat. ;)

If I were in you position, I would go for the 2x10 now and then add the 1x15 later on when funds permit.

Good luck! :) :)
  4. grey

May 13, 2004
    thanks for your help guys - am I likely to damage my head/the cab with this setup?
  5. I thnk IvanMike is you man for this. :) :)