1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mag / Piezo balance???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dlmarquez, Sep 3, 2008.

1. I have a wonderful Mag/Piezo bass. It's well detailed in the following thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330271
    I have found that with a Euphonic Audio iAmp 500 driving an Avatar neo 112, with Elixir nanowounds, I am hardly using the Dark Star, Most of the time I'm set for piezo only and I am really liking the sound I am getting. very full and bottomy, with a fretless mwah, particularly in the higher register. However it still has some growl down low.
    How do those of your with Mag/Piezo hybrids run the balance on them..what strings do you like? what is your tonal goal
    anyone who is a master of toneshaping on the iAmp, I'd love your suggestions!

2. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I have a peavey b quad fretless 5 and I run the piezo's at about 80% and the magnetics at full blast with the bridge pickup cranked and the neck at about 30%. There is a control to roll off the highs on the piezo's and I usually have that boosted slightly. Tends to get a little too clicky and noisy if I crank it too high.

Tonal goal is a nice low mid growl and maximum mwah, especially in the upper register.

I use nickel rounds.

3. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Sounds sweet. A couple of questions:

1. What type of music?
    2. Heavy gauge on the nickels?

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I like T.I. Jazz rounds and flats a great deal. Currently have Jazz rounds on my Turner Electroline. Both have a good feel for fretless (a little slack for fretted instruments to me) and have great midrange warmth and definition. I've tried Gore Elixirs, which were ok, but not as good, and nylon wounds, which I took off pretty quickly...just didn't sound that good on my bass, but might work for you.

It's hard to say an overall tonal goal, but I tend to use both the magnetics and piezos such that the piezos provide the deep lows and sparkly highs and the mags fill out the middle. If I'm using it more in a rock context, might be more biased or all blended towards the mags, and the reverse when playing in my jazz group when I might use the piezos more in a less "thick" mix. If relying on piezos more, I tend to back of the tone control less as I like the air in the jazz context...when using magnetics more, I don't need as much sparkle because there's more growl.

Probably not very helpful, since I don't have stock settings and used a bunch of subjective terms, but that's my story. I have another fretless on the way that has piezos and mags because I love the sounds you can get on a fretless.

5. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Forgot to add that I've admired your bass from afar since it was built! Why are you not digging the Dark Star as much as the piezos? I'd think it'd be great in a band context.

M

6. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Right now, on my piezo StingRay, I'm running 100% piezo with TI Jazz Flats, going for a woody, thumpy, DB-ish tone. I'm experimenting with ways to mute the strings, since my 'Ray is a 2000 and has the newer bridge without the option for string mutes. I run the EQ full on Bass, full off Mids, full on Treble, and adjust as appropriate for cabs on the amps.

I'm waiting to hear back from D'Addario as to the dimensions of fractional Helicore Orchestra DB strings, because I want to try those out. 1/10 or 1/8 scale should do the trick. I may even explore getting an older bridge for the mutes. I'm also thinking of replacing the nut with wood.

I also use this bass with the same settings for one heavy rock tune we do, because it fits perfectly.